Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Name dropping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MARSHA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: More Name dropping Reply with quote

Hi all,
Olly's name dropping got me on a bit of a roll. My brother Andrew was facinated to hear about this website although he's not on line I'll keep him in the picture.

We talked about, Jeanie Gallagher, Jane Taylor, Marilyn Webb, her mother was Ida Webb, a friend of my mums. Also there was the Errington family who lived just behind us. They were a large family, took up two sides of the Nissen Hut. I remember Dennis Errington and the eldest girl (name not sure of) who married into the family who ran the Florida Milk Bar at East Hills.

Also remember Robin Wilson and his family, they were from Ireland, lived on Heathcoat Hostel. The Little' family, Jacki, Barbara and Edwina from Middlesborough, I think they left after the 2 years were up. Also the Balantine brothers.
My goodness we certainly were thrown into the deep end of life experiences in those days. Made all the more memorable because of homesickness. I used to wear a leather jacket my dad bought before we left the UK..... and when a car load of Aussies came around looking for a fight they must have thought I looked tough. It was the first barney i'd ever been in except with my brothers, and I got a bit of a reputation after that, the other girl (a lot older than me) came of second best, and we didn't see that car again.

Marsha
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Florida Milk Bar Reply with quote

Hi. Just letting you know that I have put a photo of the Florida Milk Bar in East Hills up on this site. Richard.
oldtrafford

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on the Hostel from Dec 64 till Jan 66 , I remember Jane Taylor, Marilyn Webb, Billy Guthrie, Linda Waddell, George Hird, Jim McCarthy...we were all around the same age group. I went to East Hills Boys then Liverpool Boys, Jane , Linda and Marsha(?) went to both of those girls high schools. The last time I saw the girls was prior to the 1968 School certificate exam at Liverpool boys high. Met Billy in Green Valley mid 70's. Regards Ray
Hollander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All, I was on East Hills Hostel from late 1964, thru'1965. I was friends with George Hird (Heard?) and the name Marilyn Webb is very familiar. I also knew an Andrew, who (I believe) had sisters called Linda and Sylvia. We were the only Dutch family on the hostel as far as I know and my best friend there was Paul Canfield, from London.
Cheers
Ed Jonker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: