Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The "New Australia"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HappyCamper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: The "New Australia" Reply with quote

I was 10 years old when my family left Guernsey C.I. and departed Southampton on 22nd September 1954 on The "New Australia" bound for Bonegilla Hostel in Victoria. However, at Perth were re-routed to Balgownie Hostel at Fairy Meadow NSW. (If anyone was on the same ship, same time there is a detailed account of the voyage by William P. Nash: http://member.melbpc.org.au/~nashr/The%20Voyage%20to%20Australia.html

I am currently writing my memoirs and by joining this group am hoping to fill in a few 'blank' spots, Smile eg. How were we transported from Sydney to the Balgownie Hostel - Train or Bus? Thanks in advance for any help with this and oother related questions to follow.

Kindest regards
Eric
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Happy Campers post. Reply with quote

Thanks, Eric read the website made excellent reading very similar to my and probably thousands of Migrants of the time.
Seems almost everyone got to get sick the first days out in the Bay of Biscay.I wonder if it's ever calm going through that area?
Cheers BOB.
HappyCamper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob.
I can distinctly remember I wasnt sick Very Happy

BTW: I'm a "Taylor" too. I have reposted a revised version of this post on the Balgownie Hostel page. How do I post a photo?

Regards
Eric
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Clan Taylor Reply with quote

Re: Taylor we originated in Brighton Sussex, my Grandfather William Taylor, was a trawler fisherman out of there. My father George was one of six children, all since deceased, my father being the last two and half years ago at age 94, a real battler from his background in 2nd WWar.
Do you still live in Australia, or did you end up back in the Northern Hemisphere?
Cheers, BOB.
PS. Len who founded this website will be able to instruct you on posting photos, if you look him up on the member list and personal message him.
HappyCamper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob: In 1940 my Mum was evacuated from Guernsey and Dad Joined the Royal Welsh Fusiliers and later served in East Africa and India. I was born in Yorkshire in 1944 after one of his forloughs Smile . In 1945 we went back to Guernsey until 1954. Mum and Dad now both deceased. My siblings are still in Australia - 3 in NSW (including me) and 1 in Victoria.
All the best
Eric
GinaKate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were originally bound for Melbourne, but on board ship (Fairsky) dad was talked into disembarking in Sydney. I remember being in a large open area on the docks, suitcases were placed in rows, and we were walking up and down searching for our baggage, along with everyone else. It seemed like an eternity before we were complete, I do remember the thrill I felt when I actually found a suitcase all by myself, it was like striking gold. I don't know what the next procedure was because dad left us standing with all our wordly goods and went off for another eternity. When he came back he had us follow him, each burdoned with as much as we could carry, and we piled on a bus bound for East Hills Hostel. And as I have mentioned before; January, heat, one lane highways, the bus trip was never ending, I fully expected that we were going back to Melbourne after all, by bus.
Point being, most of us were transported to the hostel via bus, I have just read one or two who had alternative transport, even one family sent off all alone by train and on foot to find their own way. And I think they were on their way to East Hills also.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the misfortune to arrive by plane on Good Friday, and the Immigration department, bless them, anticipated our arrival and everything being at a standstill, so they sent a taxi to meet us at the airport and said we were welcome to stay at the Altona Hostel. The first sight of the hostel was a nasty shock, but we were so grateful or we'd still be at the airport.
GinaKate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the first sight of the hostel would have been a nasty shock for everyone, without exception, and the best kept secret of the twentieth century.

And I would bet that when the governments of the day were circulating the promotional films and written information, it was accompanied by the office memo, stating that no way should the wife of the family get a virtual reality tour of the hostel accommodation, and the unavoidable infestation of cockroaches in the communal wash sheds.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I could just imagine them giving such a directive. We didn't have any cockroaches at Altona, in fact the first cockroach I ever saw was on the X-FILES. laugh
Steve63

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GinaKate wrote:
We were originally bound for Melbourne, but on board ship (Fairsky) dad was talked into disembarking in Sydney. I remember being in a large open area on the docks, suitcases were placed in rows, and we were walking up and down searching for our baggage, along with everyone else. It seemed like an eternity before we were complete, I do remember the thrill I felt when I actually found a suitcase all by myself, it was like striking gold. I don't know what the next procedure was because dad left us standing with all our wordly goods and went off for another eternity. When he came back he had us follow him, each burdoned with as much as we could carry, and we piled on a bus bound for East Hills Hostel. And as I have mentioned before; January, heat, one lane highways, the bus trip was never ending, I fully expected that we were going back to Melbourne after all, by bus.
Point being, most of us were transported to the hostel via bus, I have just read one or two who had alternative transport, even one family sent off all alone by train and on foot to find their own way. And I think they were on their way to East Hills also.

Same thing happened to us on the Fairsky in 63. I don't think Dad was asked...I got the impression we were told that we would be going to Sydney not Melbourne after we left Freemantle.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of today's migrants would have instant access to litigation if that happened, and they would be set for life Evil or Very Mad
saiflamx69

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Hello every one Reply with quote

Hi i am saif. Marketing executive of Tripn hostel. My tripn hostel situated in Tirana capital of Albania. Internet browsing is my hobby. I am happy to became a member in this forum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a priest out Bannockburn way, and Internet browsing was his hobby too! He got three years.
laugh
Housemartin18

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Hi,
My name is Jeanette and arrived in Sydney in 1961 on the Fair Sea. Went to live on the Balgownie (Fairy Meadow) hostel in B Block. We then moved to Dapto in 1965. Attended Towradgi Primary School. Dad worked at the Port Kembla Steelworks.

Jeanette
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were in Balgownie until later in 1963 and my children went to Towradgi school too. We were transferred to Sydney that year
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: