Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New member Chris Lawrence East hills Hostel December 1964

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris Lawrence

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: New member Chris Lawrence East hills Hostel December 1964 Reply with quote

Hi all, arrived East hills hostel Dec 1964, i was 16, made a lot of friends on the hostel & got into a fair amount of trouble with other kids my age namely Peter Scott, Ian Welch, Dave & John Lindop, Pamela & Paul Foley, Robin Wilson, Ray Hutchinson, George Herd, John Harrison, Marsha ?.

We used to do a lot of camping down where the creek met Georges River, always remember those big black mozzies & using hostel plates as frisbies & raiding the girls tent late at night. Those were the days, will have to try & dig up some old photos.
Hollander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris, you arrived at East Hills Hostel, the same time as me. I was 15 and good friends with George Herd. I remember the camping. George got that tent and camping gear for his birthday and got me to go camping along Williams Creek. My dog went home at around dinner time. I wasn't so clever. We were eaten alive by mossies. George had a little brother called Jimmy and went round with a girl named Marvil. I also remember John Harrison, a nuggety blond haired guy. Went back to England in '65.
Cheers
Ed Jonker
GinaKate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I arrived at East Hills January 1965. Hut 46A. Age 15 and frightened to death.
Everybody seemed so worldly wise, and me, so out of my depth.
Still triyng to locate the Harringtons' Hollander.
Hollander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for trying GinaKate. I've tried the phonebook myself, for the Seven Hills, Toongabbie area, but no luck.

I notice from your post that you lived in hut 46 at East Hills. I just checked the map of the hostel that was posted here some time ago and...we were neighbours! I lived in no. 38, which was the next hut up, right at the edge of the hostel. So we both lived there in January 1965, we were both 15 yo and we lived next door to each other! We must have known one another, or at least you would have known my sister Trudy.

Ed
Chris Lawrence

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollander wrote:
Hi Chris, you arrived at East Hills Hostel, the same time as me. I was 15 and good friends with George Herd. I remember the camping. George got that tent and camping gear for his birthday and got me to go camping along Williams Creek. My dog went home at around dinner time. I wasn't so clever. We were eaten alive by mossies. George had a little brother called Jimmy and went round with a girl named Marvil. I also remember John Harrison, a nuggety blond haired guy. Went back to England in '65.
Cheers
Ed Jonker

Yeh i remember the first time i saw John Harrison, i thought he must have been an Ozzie because of his tan & blonde hair he was a tough looking guy but looked more like a surfer with no board.
After leaving the hostel i used to hang around with George Herd quite a bit, he had a little morris minor we used to get around in, I know he got married but i have lost touch with him over the years.
It's amazing we never got malaria from all those mozzies, actually we had an old morris oxford on the hostel that we used to bush bash in thru the bush & over to heathcote or down to the swamp etc, the cops were always after us. We used to hide the car in the bush with tree branches over it so the cops wouldnt find it. Also remember running over the roofs of the nissin huts waking every body up or jumping off the hot water towers, never broke a leg. amazing. Anyhow nice to catch up cheers mate
GinaKate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=I notice from your post that you lived in hut 46 at East Hills. I just checked the map of the hostel that was posted here some time ago and...we were neighbours! I lived in no. 38, which was the next hut up, right at the edge of the hostel. So we both lived there in January 1965, we were both 15 yo and we lived next door to each other! We must have known one another, or at least you would have known my sister Trudy

We didn't stay long at East Hills, dad got a job at Rosehill, to get there was a walk to the station, train change at Lidcombe, change again at Clyde for Rosehill. Too much messing around so he put in for the transfer to Dundas.
I was a very high strung fifteen year old, afraid of my own shaddow, I avoided even making eye contact with anyone in the canteen. The only person I knew from East Hills was Stella Nuttall, she would have been a year younger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: