Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holmesglen Hostel. Ann Axon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Lost Friends:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heather

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Holmesglen Hostel. Ann Axon Reply with quote

Hi, My name is Heather. I did not live at the Holmesglen Hostel, but spent a lot of my after school visiting my girlfriend Ann Axon who lived there in 1967 - 1969. I lost contact with her and I am hoping that someone may remember her or know where she is.
Many thanks
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an uncommon name, I have a friend named David Axon who I will may be seeing on Sunday, I'll ask him if there's an Ann among his rellies.
Heather

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I hope David Axon is related to Ann.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas he wasn't at the meeting, he goes to England a lot. But I'll be seeing him eventually.
Heather

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I will keep in touch. Ann's mother and father's name is Marie and Ernest. Ann moved from the Hostel to Caulfield in the late '70's later moving to Carnegie, which was about the time we lost contact.
I went to a class reunion organised by one of the Van Asten boys in about the 70's. He lived with his family just up the hill from the Hostel.

I used to visit Ann after school at the Hostel, but always had to be home before my father arrived home at exactly 6pm every week night. I can remember many times having to race up that steep hill in Power Ave and further before my father was due to travel the same road I ran. My mother always approved of my visits to see Ann, but my father would have been furious. I did not want to be grounded. :)
My father was very racist to other cultures and any male who had hair length below ears. I was told by my mother it was because of his upbringing and after his time in ww2.
I just thought I would share this with you.

Cheers
Heather
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Heather, your comments re Father: not too different to many of that time!
They invariably had a hard time in the War and because they struck plenty of underhanded treatment in Foreign countries. They could never get completely over it and carried their issues for the rest of their days.
Even though I am of next generation I still have my reservations when around long haired males especially if they are unkempt in their manner and looks. It's hard to change sometimes?
I bet though you carried your disciplines into your family in the years that followed. Pity that discipline now seems to be backing off with resultant crime and violence.
Cheers, BOB.
Heather

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,
You are correct in what you wrote. My father served in the Middle East and New Guinea. He died when I was 14.
I raised my children with the influence of my mother disciplines which was this, 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.'
Although they experienced that many others do not live by this they got through their teen years. No long hair for my son. :) His choice.

What is New Zealand like and how did you end up there?

Cheers
Heather
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heather thanks for your post.
As I have noted in earlier posts here Australia had a recession in 1961 and my Fathers job disappeared like so many others.
Some friends we had made at Bunnerong Hostel had already jumped the Tasman and it was logical from Parents point of view to do so also.
We never moved from NZ and my parents both passed away 2/3 years ago. My father at 94 and mother 89. so a good innings you could say.
You ask about NZ? Great place in many ways.But I still dearly love Australia.
Both have many..many positive and somewhat negative aspects...it's what you learn to live with and come to value and sometimes take for granted.
I take from your post that you might not be a Migrant? But an Autralian that befriended some Hostel dwellers?
If that is correct it would have been interesting for you coming into a their world and experiencing life there from your angle?
Cheers, BOB?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heather, I have found Ann Axon. I spoke to my friend David yesterday and he is her cousin. Both families came to Australia in 1970, and she had sisters Jeanette and Paula. David doesn't see a lot of them nowadays, but is happy to put you in contact.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Lost Friends: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: