Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A hostel in Latrobe Valley VIC in early 1950's?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marie13

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: A hostel in Latrobe Valley VIC in early 1950's? Reply with quote

I am trying to find out about a possible hostel located in the Morwell VIC area in the early 1950's. My husband's family arrived on the MV Dorsetshire in Melbourne in February 1951. They settled into a Housing Commission Home in late 1951 in Morwell but in the meantime lived in a hostel.
There has been a suggestion that a hostel was at Morwell Bridge and perhaps another hostel at Yallourn. I have not been able to find out any more about it/them. The local historical society at Morwell has no information on this either and they are would be most interested to learn more. I hope someone out there will be able to help. Thanks, in anticipation, Marie.
carolmary

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on the YALLOURN MIGRANT HOSTEL in dec 1950.i came on the ORMONDE in oct 1950.my name was CAROL CORNALLI WAS 12 YEARS OLD.
Marie13

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Yallourn & Latrobe ValleyHostels Reply with quote

Thanks for recent comment about Yallourn Hostel.
Any idea of where the Yallourn Hostel was located?
Do you know if there was one at Morwell Bridge or any other location in the Latrobe Valley?
Regards
Marie
jacqui

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carolmary wrote:
I was on the YALLOURN MIGRANT HOSTEL in dec 1950.i came on the ORMONDE in oct 1950.my name was CAROL CORNALLI WAS 12 YEARS OLD.

I was on the same hostel at the same time. My name was Jacqueline A'Court.
I was 5, and I had 2 sisters, Pat 12 & Judy 7.
Marie13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Latrobe Valley Hostels 1950's Reply with quote

Hi Carolmary and Jacqui,
Thank you for your comments.
You both arrived in the Valley just months before my husband's family. They settled in Morwell, moving into a government built 2 bedroom house in McMillan Street.
I am interested in when and where you family moved and how long they stayed in the Yallourn Hostel.
Also, what type of employment your fathers went to and if it was arranged before your families left home.
I look forward to your answers with interest?
Marie
jacqui

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Yallourn hostel Reply with quote

Hi. Marie,
My father Edward was a plumber I know he obtained work. My mother Elsie worked in the hostel canteen. I don't know if my father's job was secured before we migrated.

We travelled to South Australia by caravan that my father built with another family, Tom Armitage & his wife & daughter Janet. The trip took about 6 months as they picked up work along the way. We arrived in Adelaide in Feb 1953.

jacqui
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: