Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heathcote Hostel 1954

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Heathcote Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Bradley 1954

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Heathcote Hostel 1954 Reply with quote

My name is Mick Bradley. I arrived at Heathcote Hostel in 1954 with my Father Bill Bradley, Mother Molly and brother Stephen. I was 9 and Steve was 7. (strange to think that my father was 29 and mother 31 at the time - so young!) We were stranded on the 'pommie camp' until 1958. I remember many people from the hostel and Hammondville Primary School and attended Liverpool Boys High for 6 months of First year. A wonderful adventure for us children - roaming in the bush, learning to swim in the creeks and Georges river and building boats. Something of ordeal for our parents, living in a hostile environment in more ways than one. My brother and I are in the First Williams Creek Scout photo posted on the East Hills Forum but taken at Heathcote were the scout/cub group used to meet. I am 3rd from right in 2nd row and Steve is sitting 2nd from right in front row. People I remember well from this photograph include Jim Robinson, Ron Forsyth, David Reid and Mick Hurley. The Heathcote Hearts football team, started by Ron Forsyth's father Alan featured Mick Hurley and Reg Cross (both from East Hills Hostel and both NSW State players later on). Other star players that powered us to our win in our first season in the under 14 competition, along with Hurly & Cross, were the amazing Ure (spelling?) brothers from Scotland - Ginger and Eccy(?) We lived (I think) in hut 61 next to the Jackson family. The manger's son Phil Davenport lived nearby as did Frank Hitchens and David Smith. I also remember Lana Preston and the Ballard sisters as well as the Croucher family, the Gays and many others. I came across this website by chance and saw Jim Robinson's messages, so thought I would say G'day.
Margaret V

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply to Mick Reply with quote

Hello Mick,
I was at Heathcote from October 1954. I was also 9 at the time. I also remember Lana Preston and her family, and the crouchers as well. My dad's name was Harry Baker, mum May and brother David (15).
Guy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mick

Only just found this site. My name is Guy Cooper and lived on the hostel 1954 - 1959. My Mum, Greta, worked in the Dining Room and my Dad worked at East Hills Hostel. Came out on the same ship (SS New Australia) as the Forsyths and Ron, Allan and I all ended up serving in the Navy. I was a member of the Cubs/Scouts and was in the photos with the Forsyths and Robinsons and also played soccer with the Hearts (the Dad's name was Alex). When we left the hostels, the Forsyths, Hurleys, Locheads and Jacksons (Mike, Carole, Geoff and Peter) all ended up living in Lalor Park.

Also knew the Steenbergens (Ardie and Maria)

Good to find the site and see so many familiar names

Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Heathcote Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: