Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Passing of Phyllis Hobbs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Passing of Phyllis Hobbs. Reply with quote

It is with deep sadness that I must inform this group of the passing of Phyllis Marion Sowerby, formerly Hobbs nee Watson. Phyllis was a great contributer to this and other groups. I had been in contact with her for several years, both on here and in other contexts. She passed away on Nov 24th and her funeral was held on the 30th of November in New Zealand. As many of you may know, Phyllis was the wife of Tony Hobbs, who was manager of East Hills Hostel, where I stayed as a boy, and indeed, the family moved around many Hostels in Management roles. Phyllis was a kind and generous person, who was the first to share a memory and story with others. She will be very greatly missed. I am in contact with the family, if anyone wishes to pass on messages or the like. Kindest Regards, Richard Hallford. Melbourne Australia.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that's sad. I wondered if there was something amiss, as she hadn't posted in ages. She was this forum's Matriarch, and we still have her memory alive in all her friendly posts, as well as the sympathetic posts to those who had been bereaved themselves. We'll miss her. RIP Phyl, you'll be reunited with your family now.
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Phyl Reply with quote

So saddened by the news of Phyls passing...almost as if I new her, but we never crossed paths. We did live near each other relatively speaking..in the South Island of New Zealand.
Rest in Peace Phyl..... Will certainly miss your regular, interesting, succinct,kind contributions. Bob Taylor.
kate fletcher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such sad news. Phyl was so kind and encouraging that she�ll be greatly missed.
Len

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Richard for letting us know, I�m gutted, and to Bob for contacting me. Phyllis played a huge part in these forums. Her memories and images shared really made a difference to what was an empty shell of a site. Right from the beginning Phyl�s contributions had encouraged others, her knowledge and experiences of the various hostels were amazing. We became good friends and over the years Phyl had helped me out many times. The forums won�t be the same without her.

I send my deepest and most heart felt condolences to Phyllis�s husband Brian, her two sons Murray and Charles and to her other family members and friends.

Rest in peace Phyllis and thank you for every thing. God Bless

Len

http://www.migrantweb.com/hostelsforum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=41

GinaKate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Hobbs was also the manager at Dundas for a time whilst I was there, Phyl fit right in wherever she went, she was often in the canteen mingling with everyone.
I'd say this news has left quite a huge gap in the lives of a few people.
Charlie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
Thanks all who have made such beautiful comments about my dear mum Phyl. She was a real gem and she told me about this site and how she kept in touch with all you folk out there from our hostel days. Yes mum and dad (Tony Hobbs) made a real effort to be part of the hostel community in those early days. I remember having most of our meals in the Canteens with everyone. It was a great time of my life. The first 17 years of my life were in Hostels. I made lots of friends.
I look forward to hearing from some old friends out there.

Cheers
Charlie Hobbs (called Anthony in the early days!!)
Len

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Charlie, welcome to our forums. Back in Jan-2007 Phyl had been a God-send to these forums as she really started the ball rolling for us. It�s so sad that Phyl is no longer with us and I bet she would be so pleased that you have called in.

I do hope that you and everyone else has had a good Christmas (considering) and I wish you and your family all the very best for the New Year.

Len
Charlie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Len. I'll look forward to going through the site etc. All the best for a great new year ahead.
Charlie
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie wrote:
Thanks for your reply Len. I'll look forward to going through the site etc. All the best for a great new year ahead.
Charlie

Charlie, I gave your Mum a photo of the Football team from the hostel, which she said she used as her desktop photo. I hope you still have it, if not, I can supply. Taken at East Hills Hostel.
Charlie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard
Thanks for the message. I'd love to see the photo. Thanks so much.
Cheers
Charlie
Robert Pearson Robert Pearson has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: passing of Phyl Hobbs Reply with quote

Hi sorry to hear Phyl passed away she was always there to welcome newbies like myself a few years ago, A great person. Bob P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: