Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello (Cheryl Grimmer's disappearance)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fairymeadow (Balgownie) Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynne66

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Hello (Cheryl Grimmer's disappearance) Reply with quote

Hi.... I was reading today in the Mercury about Cheryl Grimmer's disappearance in 1970 from Fairymeadow beach.... I can remember my parents speaking of her as she lived with her parents on the Hostel..... My family also lived on the Hostel and knew them to speak to.... It sparked my interest and when I googled Fairymeadow Hostel I found this sight..... My parents immigrated from Bingley West Yorkshire in 1969 and we lived on the Hostel till about December 1969..... I don't remember much at all because I was only 3 but my parents have lots of memories Very Happy
linda 581

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: fairymeadow hostel Reply with quote

My family (mum and dad my 2 sisters and myself) left hartlepool and arrived on fairymeadow hostel in Oct 3rd 1969. we lived in the tin huts for a little while and then we moved into the new units (para block). I was 10 when we arrived and went to Towradgi school. we moved to qld in 1973 and have been here ever since.
ElaineK

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Linda.
I also arrived from England in 1969 (August). We lived in the tin huts too. I was also 10 and went to Towradgi school - maybe we were in the same class. Wow! Can't believe it will be 50 years in 2019.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fairymeadow (Balgownie) Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: