Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sixty years this year heathcote 1954

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Heathcote Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim1954

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Sixty years this year heathcote 1954 Reply with quote

Is anybody still around that was on the hostel from October 1954 if so make contact. Jim
Margaret V

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply to Jim Reply with quote

Hi Jim,
We arrived at Heathcote Hostel in October 1954. Arrived on the SS New Australia. My dad's name was Harry Baker, wife May Baker and my brother David (15). I was 9. Its unbelievable that 60 years have gone by.
Margaret
jim1954

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret , I remember you and your family , you lived in Mcgowen Cres. Liverpool.
Guy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim

Not Jimmy Robinson by any chance? If, used to be your neighbour in 1954

Guy Cooper
jim1954

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Guy Cooper Reply with quote

Guy, I lived next door to you in 45A, I still live in Sydney. If you post your email address I will send you some photos of that period. Regards Jim Robinson
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Heathcote Hostel Reply with quote

Hi Jim, we arrived on Strathaird '54 but a round trip of Hostels brought us to Heathcote late'55 or early '56....Shirley Crouchers Christmas/New Year party will confirm which year with mum and dad front and centre. As teenagers (14/15/16 yrs) a lot of memorable times at the Rec Hall, the Flicks at both top and bottom camps, the juke box in the shop/canteen, the Williams Creek swimming holes, Sunday night R & R at the bottom camp, push bike rides and swimming at Deadmans and Woniora (?) near Lucas Heights, fights with the Hamondville boys, later the attempts and then (under-age) drinking with the Sunshine boys, diving from the old foot bridge, lots of girl friends and the hire of 'chug-a-lug boats from East Hills park and cruise on down the Georges to Como (?) and return after a lively picnic on a secluded 'beach'. A mixed bunch of mates from Wales, Ireland, Scotland and various parts of England.
1954, Cabramatta Hostel from England aboard S.S.Strathaird, followed by Matraville, Marybrinong, Broadmeadows, Williamstown, Heathcote Road and Bunnerong (various moves as dad was later in '54 engaged as a Hostel Manager.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Heathcote Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: