Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

time for a visit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marshall

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: time for a visit Reply with quote

Hi,
were you in Bradfield when we were there?
my family lived in Bradfield Park 1964 to early 67. We came from Scotland on the Fairsky and went back on the Aquille Lauro. My brothers and I attended the Holy Family primary school in Lindfield, but before then a little two roomed hut just beside the camp. My mum volunteered in the St Vincent De Paul second hand clothes shop.
I will be back there next week for a look around. I can see from Google maps that the camp has gone but I should be able to visit the school, shops (with a monument?) and churches. And Turtle Creek? when we were there our ages spanned 2 to 9 yrs (my younger brother went from 2 to 5 and older brother from 6 to 9 etc.) but we seemed to have a freedom today's children could only dream of.
I'm thinking of getting the train to Lindfield, look at the Holy Family church on the Pacific Highway then walk or get a bus to the camp area.
Any tips?
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a memorable nostalgia trip, especially if it's your first time. I'm in Victoria, therefore no help with directions but I hope you enjoy your stay.
peterv

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: time for a visit Reply with quote

Hi Marshall
marshall wrote:
Hi, were you in Bradfield when we were there?
my family lived in Bradfield Park 1964 to early 67.
I'm thinking of getting the train to Lindfield, look at the Holy Family church on the Pacific Highway then walk or get a bus to the camp area.
Any tips?

Good to hear from you. I was in Bradfield Park 1959-61. The camp has mostly been replaced by expensive houses, though part of the site is now the West Lindfield CSIRO (science research). There is no monument as far as I know. Shorelink Bus 565 goes to West Lindfield and the CSIRO (go to http://shorelink.com.au/timetables.html and scroll down)

As you mention Google maps, one site that may be of interest both to ex-residents of Bradfield and other NSW camps, is http://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/. Search for Lindfield and head west. Then go to "Basemaps" in the top right. This allows 3 options, one like Google maps, one a street map but the third superimposes 1943 imagery showing the location of all the huts (it was an RAAF training camp in 1943). It is a little tricky but no harder than Google maps.

There is a Bradfield Park forum on this website which you may be interested to read. There is also a Bradfield Park Migrant Hostel Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/10612158811/ which all people with an interest in Bradfield Park are welcome to join.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: