Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heathcote Rd Hostel 1959-1963

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Heathcote Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DIANE MCSWEENEY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Heathcote Rd Hostel 1959-1963 Reply with quote

Hello, my name is Diane Palmer McSweeney and I lived in hut 40A from 1959-1963. My family came from England. My father, John (Jack), was a painter at the hostel and my mother, Sheila, worked in the canteen. My sisters , June and Carolyn, and my brother John have a lot of fun memories of hostel life.
Joy52

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Diane. I was on Heathcote 1962-64. I attended Hammondville Primary and have an old school photo from 1962 in which there is a girl called Carolyn Palmer so am wondering if that is your sister. The girl in my photo has a lot of very thick, wavy, red hair and I seem to remember that she had freckles.
DIANE MCSWEENEY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Hammondville Primary Reply with quote

Yes that is my sister, Carolyn. My brother and I also went there but I was in the Infants Department. It was always fun riding the bus to school.To this day I remember all the words to the Cliff Richard songs!!! Life on the hostel has left me with very fond memories. We loved walking through the bush to the river, not a care in the world.Fun bonfires and wars in the 'desert'. The only sad thing I remember was the Monica Schofield tragedy. Perhaps I was too young to notice the hardships of hostel life, but my sisters both say we had lots of fun back then.
Joy52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those bus rides certainly were fun. I remember the Hayley Mills song "Let's get Together" (yeah, yeah, yeah). Everyone would sing and sometimes several different groups would be singing different songs making for really noisy bus trips. One bus driver made us get off and walk because he had warned us so many times about being quiet, then when we got to school he had informed Miss Dudley the headmistress about our bad behaviour and she gave us a real dressing down! I was 11 at the time of the Monica Schofield tragedy and remember it all very well. It was terrible. There is a write up about it in this forum under the East Hills Hostel forum. It may interest you to know that the murderer committed suicide in prison 7 years later when he was 30 years old. Maybe his conscience got to him? I don't know if your sister remembers me (Joyce Derry) but if you are in contact with her please say hello from me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Heathcote Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: