Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chemical attack. (Mortein)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Len

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Chemical attack. (Mortein) Reply with quote

Anyone remember this stuff and the contraption. Hehe

I do... I remember my father entering our bedroom each evening and absolutely smothering the place with Mortein just to get rid of the mosquitoes etc. We had to hide our heads under the blankets for a while as we were rained on by the stuff. I'm surprised he never killed us 'the kids' never mind the Mosquitoes! Mr. Green
Roy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt you have the High tech mossie burning through the night? talk about stink.
maureen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: chemical attack 2 Reply with quote

once we realised what was keeping us awake at night my dad came into the bedroom too, armed with the mortein contraption and also proceeded to shower us with chemicals while pumping the handle furiously, ha ha.
Len

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mortein came in a bottle and you had to fill the pump by pouring the liquid into the pumps container and like you say, you had to pump the handle furiously. We must have gone through gallons of the stuff. Mr. Green
I bet these things are collector�s items these days. If I find a better pic I�ll put it up.

In my first post I did have a bigger/ better image of the one above but when my original forum host went pear-shaped I lost quite a few images and unfortunately that was one of them. Sad

smile
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Len ,
Thanks fpr the photo of the mortein pump . I remember it well. Sure brought back the old days. Very Happy
Selina Blackburn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Louis the Fly Reply with quote

I remember the mortein contraption, I think it was the first thing my mother bought!! As I remember, the most effective weapon against the fly was a rolled up newspaper or plastic fly swat - I accounted for thousands with them.

There was also the tv advert for mortein, which I cannot remember fully, but I do remember the ending - 'I'm bad and mean, and mighty unclean, afraid of no one, 'cept the man with the can of mortein, hate that name mortein. Poor dead louis, louis the fly, a victim of mortein.'
Len

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Louis the Fly Reply with quote

Selina Blackburn wrote:

There was also the tv advert for mortein, which I cannot remember fully, but I do remember the ending - 'I'm bad and mean, and mighty unclean, afraid of no one, 'cept the man with the can of mortein, hate that name mortein. Poor dead louis, louis the fly, a victim of mortein.'

...................................................... lolo

I can't realy remember it but was this it? grins

Link

Very Happy
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the add but it took awhile to load and I couldn't get any sound but I do remember the ditty started "Louis the fly I'm Louis the fly ,Straight from rubbish tip to you. Spreading disease with the greatest of ease,Straight from rubbish tip to you ,I'm bad and mean and mighty unclean 'Fraid of no man 'cept the man with the can of Mortein,hate that name Mortein,Poor dead Louis ,Louis the Fly a victim of Mortein"
Funny how some things stick in your brain. Very Happy
Len

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you said you are still on dialup Phyl. You�ll really need to be on broadband to be able to view streaming video and even then things can run a bit slow at times,

I can remember a couple of other old adverts. So I�ll start another thread. Mr. Green

Smile
slavica

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad still has the pump and uses it to sprays his vegies. The Mortein has been replaced with a homemade organic mix.
Slavica
Bluebird

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hated night time.....it was so hot and stifling.....and then the mozzies....I remember it well!! We had one of those spray pumps.....memories!! haha
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Pumps Reply with quote

Hi Len Happy New Year. Thanks for the Mortein story. From memory (five) of us lads from Heathcote Road Hostel, a couple of us put our age up to be able to work in a Factory but one after the other we started work 1956 at Rega Pumps in Tempe (NSW). One started by sweeping the floors and then graduated through the various sections of making the pumps described. The rate of pay was about 3 Pounds per week (about $6 todays worth), extra money could be made with overtime, meal money and 'working hard' to produce more than a daily quota. Women were the better workers and although the basic wage was a bit lower than the males they took home more than us young blokes. I still have two finished items.
1954, Cabramatta Hostel from England aboard S.S.Strathaird, followed by Matraville, Marybrinong, Broadmeadows, Williamstown, Heathcote Road and Bunnerong (various moves as dad was later in '54 engaged as a Hostel Manager.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: