Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

School packed lunches.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Unanderra Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Len

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: School packed lunches. Reply with quote

Does anyone remember what we had for our school packed lunches?

Peanut butter...yuk
How anyone can eat that garbage, I don?t know.
thegreyone

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete here. I can remember the school packed lunches and I can remember taking Cold Baked Bean sandwiches from the canteen to school. What a delicacy. Thats probably the reason I hardly ever touch the things these days. They did used to have some funny things on the menu for packed lunches, some of which seemed quite unedible to me.
Len

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had from time to time peanut butter on our sandwiches they where hard work to eat, you had to drink lots of orange juice to wash it down.
I did like Vegemite thou. Even today I have the odd vegemite butty.
You where also allowed to chose a fruit from the canteen with your lunch i.e. apple, orange pear etc.
At lunchtime we all sat outside in the schoolyard on some benches and if it was raining we sat under a specially built covered area in the schoolyard.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete,
Nice to see your name online again.
About baked beans. They are actually very good for you The beans are full of protein and the tomato sauce has lycopene,a powerful antoxidant,to help your body keep healthy Very Happy . But to be honest I am not fussy about them either, though do very occasioally have a baked bean sandwich. I think different countries have different ideas about food . I remember the staff being told that pumpkin was pig food and yet I love pumpkin especially butternut pumpkin, with mashed potato and cauliflower, yummy Exclamation Mmmmmmmmm covered in cheese sauce.
Peanut Butter is good for you too but I have to be honest ,I don't like it , I do like vegemite though.
Roy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely took a packed lunch. Most times I bought a salad sandwich at the steelworks canteen and I still think of them as one of the better salad buts Ive tasted. Im not a fan of baked bean or vegimite butties.

Do you remember the canteen liver (lambs fry) it had some sort of coating on it making it taste a bit continental . It was OK I suppose but I prefer it neat.
My wife rufuses to cook it for me , but thats another story, lol.

Roy.
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on your wife ,Roy, I wouldn't cook it either Sad but then I am a vegetarian so understandable. Smile
I don't know what they did to the lambs fry . When I am next talking to my friends I will ask . Might take a day or two . He may or may not remember.
Roy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be a big meat eater untill a type 2 diabetes scare . Now ive lost weight and a balanced diet with plenty of fruit and veg and its well under control. maybe we should all cut our meat intake.
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the diabetes scare Roy. Glad all is under control now . Sometimes it takes a scare to make us more aware of what we eat. Smile
Roy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still crave a nice big juicy steak that has only had a peek at the grill but my head tells me to order the grilled Trevally and I enjoy that just as much.

Now a piece of honeycomb tripe with plenty of salt vinegar and pepper to did your bread in. Alas I havent had that since I last had black pudding , probably 42 yearsago.

Ah well, one can only dream. lol
Len

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your making me hungry.. Must admit, I also like black pudding but only in small quantities too much is a bit sickly for me..
Now that you�ve gone and mentioned it I might get some this week end and treat myself if I remember. Mr. Green hehe

I haven�t had tripe for quite some time but you can still get it at Accrington/ Blackburn markets and I�m sure it can only be eaten with vinegar.

Smile
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeks you guys ,I'm starting to feel decidedly ill.
I remember black puddings when I was a kid and I hated it. Also tripe I remember going to a chap's place for tea and I was served tripe by his mum ,a lovely lady ,I had to leave the table for the little house as I had eaten it for sheer good manners Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed . I was only 17 years old at the time.
My brother, though ,loved tripe and any we refused to have, he would chomp through. lol.
No wonder I'm a vegeterian and have been for 38 years. Rolling Eyes
Maybe the black puddings were bought because my father was English,bless him , a very wonderful man .
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roy,
Replying to your post further up. The lambs fry must have been a secret recipe of the Catering Manager or maybe the Chef there because my friend was blissfully ignorant of how it was done.. Sorry about that. Sad
BeatrixD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: awful sandwiches Reply with quote

Hi,

All I can remember of the packed lunches were the awful jam sandwiches we had. My sister and I used to swap them at school for something decent Shocked
Roy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Beatrix

The trouble with swapping was finding a local silly enough to swap.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: crib Reply with quote

Yes the "crib", nice, four slices of "Tip Top" bread with the filling of your choice. No expense sparred, Jam , Peanut butter(my favorite), Lemon Cheese but under no circumstances Veggimite. All wrapped in greaseproof paper in a brown paper bag. Then flattened at the bottom of the school case ,when we launched them down the varranda at the side of the canteen, on the way to the school bus.
But we were better off the the kids at Port Kembla School, who ate those pies from the tuck shop.With the steam heated black gravy filling. Swap,not on your life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Unanderra Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: