Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

School packed lunches.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Unanderra Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the marble cake.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi All,
Have in front of me a menue from those hostel days. thought you may be interested in the list of fillings and garnishes for cribs.
Cheese,Peanut Butter,Ham Loaf,Egg Spread,Corned silverside,Vegemite,Roast Beef,Jam,Salami,Ham and Chicken (I would think that would be like luncheon sausage), Devilled Ham Spread,Fish Fingers.Crib cake as authorised. the garnishes were- mustard pickle,onion rings,chutney,lettuce ,mustard.
Any comments?
Smile
Roy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any comments?

They did a wicked salad sandwich at the steelworks canteen, and once sampled you would never go back to a hostel crib.
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a chef I have seen a lot of changes in food safety laws over the years and I am sure that these days the health department would have a ball with some of the fillings you have mentioned,can you imagine having Salami,ham,chicken or any meat for that matter on your sandwich in the Australian heat for hours on end,then having your child eat it Shocked Shocked well WE did cry cry Come to think of it,some families when they first moved here did not even have a fridge,didnt take long to realize that you needed one though.
But really think about how we treated food then and how we treat it now,we are lucky to have survived ,I remember my Mum leaving meat out on the kitchen sink to defrost for hours on end . O.M.G
With all the food safety laws we have these days I think the moment we get a bug it nearlly kills us..why..because we are too protected from bacteria and if it does get a hold on us it is a bloody good one,don't get me wrong I know we have to have food safety laws and as a chef I respect and follow them to the letter I have to,but did we catch any harm????? I think not.
Rolling Eyes
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes come to think of it you are right there stormfour.All I can say though is thank goodness I'm a vegetarian.
Funny how men make great chefs and yet they say "A woman's place is in the kitchen" I personally hate cooking, but my sons and grandsons are good cooks and so was my late husband..... Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just noticed that on your list of fillings there are Fish Fingers Shocked Shocked
Now that leaves a lot to the imagination idunno
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laugh but it is on the list. laugh
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Lunch Menu Reply with quote

I wouldnt mind a scanned copy of that lunch menu. I used to fill out what I vaguely remember being a black and white lunch order form for the week ahead at East Hills. In spite of many comments, I used to enjoy the packed lunches in brown bags. Although, I do remember eating warm jam sannies. hehe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall we just wrote our orders on the bags each Sunday,we didn't have anything fancy like a white form or anything. Confused
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember having cheese and pickle, the first time I ever tried it was on a trip to Geelong beach. After that I would often order it for my crib.

I know what you mean about food safety Carol, and when we are cooking for others we really have to be careful, but it's not only food hygiene that is causing problems for people (especially kids) these days, it's all those anti-bacterial soaps and cleaners, plus the fact that many parents won't allow their children to get dirty, or even play outdoors. The best way to wipe out a species is to deplete it's immunity, and that is exactly what we are doing to humanity.
Teppo Gr�n

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: School packed lunches Reply with quote

Yes, I remember the school packed lunches. Especially in the hot summer days, a tomato sandwich was quite soggy by lunchtime.
robert wilson jnr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: hostel cribs Reply with quote

Hi Len and Phyl Robert here i remember the way the cooks used to cook the lambs fry, they used to soak it in the sink full of water to bleed it then they would slice it up and dip it into seasoned flour then onto the hot plate i watched them many a time doing this in the kitchen . The best cook i saw making it was a person you both may remember Len and phyl was Joe Delic he was the head cook at Unanderra at the time you were there Len
cheers robert
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,
No don't remember Joe as we were never at Unanderra,though we must know lots of staff at the hostels we were both in Smile
Len

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert, I dont remember him but my mother does. He is in a photo in this thread.
http://www.migrantweb.com/hostelsforum/viewtopic.php?t=137

Smile
Jill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha do I remember those yukky cold baked bean butties - you got better fed in prison I think. Must admit I was fond of the marble cake but sometimes the packet was just a mass of crumbs when you eventually got it out of those wretched brown bags.

I have good memories though of the tuck shop at Port Kembla - remember when the supermarket wire basket came into the classromm and you had to write on a paper bag what you wanted for lunch - the hot dogs were delicious as they came served on crusty finger rolls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Unanderra Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: