Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ken Hanslik. Altona Hostel from 1964 to 65

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennyh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Ken Hanslik. Altona Hostel from 1964 to 65 Reply with quote

Hi folks,
I was at Altona Hostel from 1964 to 65. I remember scattered scenes from my time there and looking at the photos on this site brings back more memories.
But I will never remember as much as Judy Houston (aussietrekker)! - she remembers things about the hostel (and me) that I thought were lost forever.
Just amazing.

I was at Seaholme state school for grades 5 and 6 - and I used to play with the kids from the Westhead (no I mean Whitehead) family who lived near us in the hostel. Our hut number was G11 (? I think).

Last edited by kennyh on Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lovely surprise!
I have sent you a PM.

For everyone else's info, Kenny and I go back to being born a few days apart in the same hospital, we lived in neighbouring streets in Ireland and our Dads worked in the same factory. Both families left Ireland on the same night, catching the boat to England, and we wound up in Altona Hostel. We haven't seen each other since 1964.

Looking forward to catching up soon.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to say that Kenny and I met up for lunch on Thursday (it only took us 50 years) and had a wonderful few hours reminiscing our "parallel pasts", and what we've been doing since leaving the hostel.
He still looks like his Mum!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: