Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GEORDIE REMEMBERS CABRAMATTA HOSTEL - 1966

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geordie1957

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: GEORDIE REMEMBERS CABRAMATTA HOSTEL - 1966 Reply with quote

Hi there, I ended up on Cabramatta Hostel when I was 9 years old back in 1966. I arrived with my family from Blyth (Newcastle Upon Tyne) and us kids loved it but our parents suffered in those horrible stinking hot tin cans infested with black cockroaches! We were there for 3 months then bought a house in Fairfield West where we stayed for 9 years then we went back to England. I went to live In London, became a punk drummer and I was also in the band Adam & the Ants, but came back to Oz at age 22, got married, had a daughter and now I have 3 grandchildren. I also did stand up comedy, acting and writing. I've travelled the world and I'm happy to say that Australia is the best. All of my family came back here to Oz at different times but my brother has now gone to live in Switzerland. xxx
ireneteresa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: cool and hi all. Reply with quote

Mr. Green

Well well well this is a good place to post and say hi to you Geordie ( cool musical creative like our family -was soemthing in the water in 1966 :p) and to all.

I was also there in 1966.

WE came from England on Fairstar . Chlopicki family. I had my seventh birthday there.

Think it was all a bit much for us because we stayed only a few weeks then rented a flat In fairfield until our home in Smithfield was built.

our cousins have pics but I have none .this site has brought memories.

ok will keep exploring !

best wishes to all.

Irene

PS ...is there a way one can find out what number cabin we lived in ?

Last edited by ireneteresa on Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
ireneteresa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: question Reply with quote

PS ...is there a way one can find out what number cabin we lived in ?
geordie1957

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: GEORDIE N CABRAMATTA HOSTEL IN 1966 Reply with quote

Hi Irene, its amazing that we were both there at the same time! We arrived on the Fairsky but most people came on the Fairstar like you and your family. I think the Fairsky must've been clapped out but I'll have to google that!
I loved the smell of the breakfast being made in the canteen and the sandwiches the ladies made for us to take to school.
xxxx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: