Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Names to faces.. (Staff xmas party 1968)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Unanderra Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Len

The milk and butter were held in your huge fridge because the kitchen fridges were full I take it. lol
Jill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Alma Reply with quote

My Mum was Alma Brown - number "5" - sadly we lost her her 19th Dec
I'm the youngest Jill - a right little tyke I was then - I remember the Cowan Family - think they were mum & dad's best buddies whilst we were in the hostel. I also remember the Woodhouse family - especially little Fiona god rest her little soul.

Anyone remember Sue Tasker - she was my partner in crime - especially when we collected all the cats and hid them in the derelict hostel at the top of the hill so the animal warden wouldn't get them!!!!!
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jill,
Please accept my sincere sympathy for th loss of your mother.They are your best friends.

Enjoyed reading about the cats .Good on you. Smile

Hope you find some photos. Cool
Len

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sorry to hear about your mum jill.
It was my mother that provided the list of names for the photo and I�ll pass on the sad news.

I can remember all the stray cats that temporarily lived on the hostel but I think it�ll be best creating a new thread for that topic. Smile
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Names to faces Reply with quote

Hello there Jill, belated condolences with respect to Mum Alma. I informed my mother, Brenda, she also sends her best wishes.

Yes i remember the cats, there must have been dozens of them. But do you remember the dog we all "adopted". We would take it up into the hills to avoid the warden.
If i remember rightly, Len you were involved with the dog as well. I think it was taken away while we were at the youth club one night.
Len

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don�t remember the dog unfortunately. The only dog I can remember was the one whom always accompanied the lad from Unanderra. I remember that we built a cat�s cemetery by the side of Five Islands road because there were several fatalities involving cat and motor vehicles etc. I think we had done a good gob for the little cemetery as each little grave had its own cross and a circle of stones.
Bless Smile
Jill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony - great to hear from you - thank you and your mum for your thoughts.
I'm with Len on this as I can't remember the dog - but I'm not at all surprised. When I think back - we were a set of rascals but we were good hearted kids really.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Len ,making such lovely little graves for the unfortunate cat victims was so nice .
Over here the pukakos get run over and I remember we buried five in one week.So sad as they are so beautiful and a native bird but they will go on the road and cars travelled in the country. Thank goodness I was never guilty of that.
julief2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: introduction Reply with quote

Hi have just joined My family arrived in Unanderra in 66 or 67 from wales have just seen a photo of my mother Hilary Fitzgerald who is actually number 12 in the photo.She worked in the canteen in the hostel, my sister and I were about 3 and 4 when we arrived and we returned home after about 3 years. Sadly my mother passed away in 84 so seeing that photo of her as a young woman has made my day Thank you! The photos are bringing back so many memories, especially the crib bag which I remember having peanut butter or vegemite on a daily basis. Does anyone remember something called potato puffs which we had at breakfast but I don't think were made of potatoes although I was quite young at the time I can remember the hostel and port kembla and cringila school very well.
Len

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Julie, just found your post in the �introduce yourself �section, so I've moved it here.
Sorry to here about your mother passing, I shall mention this to my parents as they may still remember her.

At the time, you would have been about the same age as our Elaine. Elaine is the youngest, I was the eldest aged around 9/10 and my brother Shaun is around 12 months younger than me. We all lived on �E� block. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Unanderra Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: