Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did anybody know MILIVOY STARC and OLIVE, Newcastle?(60-84)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Lost Friends:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ubencic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Did anybody know MILIVOY STARC and OLIVE, Newcastle?(60-84) Reply with quote

Hello from Slovenia, Europe. Hope this post is OK.
My name is Urban Bencic and I am the grandnephew of MILIVOY STARC
I hope you can help me. I finaly found my great uncle MILIVOY STARC (in NSW death data base), my family have information after 46 years and new questions are here.
He moved to Australia in 1951, He died in 1984 at 54 Kings Rd, Tighes Hill. He wrote in the letter about his wife OLIVE, but I can not find nothing in data base of NSW marriages. Maybe they were married only in church... He didn't have any childre, but OLIVE was widowed and She had children from the first marriage. We don't know her family name.
His last letter arrived in 1970, after that no more communication.We realy would like to know what happend in these 14 years. We know, He was not in good health conditions, in 50s recovered by sunstroke in sugar cane fields. He died 61 years old, alone of cancer (information from death document). He is buried in Sandgate in a section where many people are buried who have no family or no means to pay for their funeral Sad

Dear forum members, would you be so kind and check the pictures taken in 1965 in Tighes Hill - please click the link to see my post on facebook
MILIVOY
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208800231335629&set=pcb.1150187071726637&type=3&theater

OLIVE
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208800231295628&set=pcb.1150187071726637&type=3&theater

Maybe somebody remembers them ...

His addresses were:
1965 -> 7 MARGARIT STREET, TIGHES HILL; 1966->123 EVERTON STREET HAMILTON; 1970->184 MAITLAND ROAD, ISLINGTON;from electoral roll in 1980-> 116 Hannell st. Wickham
these addresses were migrant hostels?

I would like to find descendants of Olive and maybe his friend or people who knew him (if tehy are still alive). All suggestions are also welcome.
THANK YOU!
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Urban,
The four addresses listed sound like residential streets. There was a hostel at Mayfield, Newcastle which probably housed your relatives. In the NATIONAL ARCHIVES AUSTRALIA site, I have located the immigration entry of MILIVOJ STARC. He sailed from Bremerhaven on the ship FAIRSEA, departing March 20, 1951, and arrived in Australia on April 23. The Fairsea was used to transport migrants under the Displaced Persons Scheme. If you visit the National Archives site, type in MILIVOJ STARC, and click on the number A12072, you can read more.
The SALVATION ARMY is the best agency for finding lost family. It is a church organisation, and has reunited many families.
There are two very good sites you can try- MIGRANT HERITAGE CENTRE and
SLOVENIANS IN AUSTRALIA. There may still be some Slovenian migrants alive that could give you some clues. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Lost Friends: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: