Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

East Hills Naval Estate 1950s to mid 1960s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naval Estate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: East Hills Naval Estate 1950s to mid 1960s Reply with quote

Hello to All,

I stumbled on this terrific website looking for something else...

My family lived in Cambrian Avenue for about 10 years which was at the cnr of Sirius Road and just before the track down to the bridge over the Georges River.

I went to East Hills Primary and the Boys High. Some good teachers there whipped me into shape academically (Mr Ramsey?) whilst Mr Bennet literally whipped me with six of the best :-(

Used to regularly ride my bike over to the Hostel, and although I don't remember anybody in particular, feel sure I made friends there. The family also loved going to the Migrant Hostel for Housie in the evenings...

Some things I do recall...

The Monica Schofield investigation...Detectives spoke to everyone on the Naval Estate...an appalling murder...

http://www.news.com.au/national/crime/the-savage-murder-of-a-pretty-schoolgirl-that-will-haunt-detective-peter-cox-forever/news-story/a3da2e9f74af93b2b439920bfb086408

4​4 gallon drum raft...and corrugated iron canoe, got a few yards out into the bend in the river and started taking water...

Tirzin's General Store...some Hostel people probably did their shopping here? I notice that there are Tirzins still living in Hammondville and Carlingford NSW

The "Desert"...my playground!!

The Army Camp...similar...and a friend who was killed playing with explosives found on the range...

The creek/swimming hole and the swing...

The old man who used to drink a little too much methinks and fall asleep near the bridge...scary fella to a youngster...

Deadman's Hill, how we were never killed racing down that on our pushbikes, I will never know...good playing at the creek though...

Famous people? Couldn't find a mention the singer John Young or John Paul Young/JPY as he became known...I watched him with interest on One Plus One...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/one-plus-one/

Terrific memories of those days...and hope the majority of Ten Pound POMS found that Australia was a good place to live.

Also, had a quick look around the site, but couldn't find any reference to the ​Herne Bay Hostel? at what is now named Riverwood...

Cheers, Mick
Bowral NSW
Petermccut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw your post re the Naval Estate, just wondering when you were living there?
Thanks
Naval Estate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: Introdictions! Reply with quote

Petermccut wrote:
Saw your post re the Naval Estate, just wondering when you were living there?
Thanks

Ummmmm how about a little background on who you are? and why you are interested? Very Happy
Petermccut

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure I lived there from mid '69 till early '77.
Recently connected on Facebook with a few ex residents and am interested in the history of the place.
Set up Naval Estate Facebook page, see link.
Thats all no ulterior motives.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/205019680293279/?multi_permalinks=205019803626600&notif_id=1541977730827378&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic
Naval Estate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petermccut wrote:
Sure I lived there from mid '69 till early '77.
Recently connected on Facebook with a few ex residents and am interested in the history of the place.
Set up Naval Estate Facebook page, see link.
Thats all no ulterior motives.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/205019680293279/?multi_permalinks=205019803626600&notif_id=1541977730827378&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic

Thanks Peter...we lived there mid 50s to 1963ish...terrific memories.
Petermccut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to find out when the Estate was opened, when we there in the 70's the houses didn't seem that old so I am guessing they would have been built around the mid 50's.
Do you have any recollection on how new they were when you arrived at the Estate?
Thanks
Naval Estate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petermccut wrote:
I am trying to find out when the Estate was opened, when we there in the 70's the houses didn't seem that old so I am guessing they would have been built around the mid 50's.
Do you have any recollection on how new they were when you arrived at the Estate?
Thanks

Yes, they looked relatively "new"...my vague recollection is that they were ex-WW2 prefabs previously owned by the Army...whenever the 25 pounders were firing on the range, every window would rattle!
Naval Estate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naval Estate wrote:

Yes, they looked relatively "new"...my vague recollection is that they were ex-WW2 prefabs previously owned by the Army...whenever the 25 pounders were firing on the range, every window would rattle!

The Pre-Fabs were imported from Swedan...in 1955 were the second Tenants in the house Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: