Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heathcote Hostel 1961

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Heathcote Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
irene_61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Heathcote Hostel 1961 Reply with quote

We arrived in 1961 moved to Easthills Hostel, mum and dad were horrified, goodness knows what they expected but the huts werent it. We stayed there about 6 weeks and then moved to Heathcote to be near some friends who had immigrated before us.

As kids we loved it, I remember my the lunch bags we collected every day to take to school, you could always tell the hostel kids Very Happy it was like our badge of honour. We used to build massive bonfires (crackers were legal then). Monica Schofield went missing while going across the desert and was found murdered. Sad time for everyone. We stayed on the camp two years and it was great

Irene
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed your post Irene.

We were at Berkeley Hostel when Monica Schofield was murdered but it rings a bell with me ,the name does. Sad Very sad and tragic.
irene_61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was one of Monicas close friends she had a brother Peter and the irony is that they found her body at Dead Mans Creek since been renamed, I sometimes wonder what happened to her family whether they stayed or left. Guess I will never know, but it was a terrible tragedy she was a lovely girl.
Len

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Irene, welcome to our forums.

It�s always sad to here about things like this �Monica�. Did they apprehend the attacker?
irene_61

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they did fortunately
GinaKate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a terrible tragedy for a family hoping for a better life, I vaguely remember hearing something about this when we arrived in January 1965. I remember being told never to go anywhere alone.

Years later a little two year old girl went missing from Dundas Hostel, 1966/67, maybe Phyl's husband was still manager at the time? Folk came in from the neighbouring streets and joined the massive search party. To everyone's relief she was found days later by two school boys, alive and well fed and unharmed, wandering all alone in a field in Mt Druitt. That really upset the security of the hostel for months.
ninette

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was living at East Hills when Monica was murdered and there were so many stories and rumours going around amongst the kids as to what happened. Whenever I hear the song Blue on Blue it reminds me of Monica. I never forget her. I can't imagine what it must have been like for her family.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Heathcote Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: