Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Broadmeadows Hostel, early 1965?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Other Hostels:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulD333

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Broadmeadows Hostel, early 1965? Reply with quote

Anyone at that salubrious location between say Jan to March 1965?

Some memories/ names (I was 13):

* Smith family (Scottish) - brothers Joe and Bill
* Kerkowicz family (Polish) - Andrew etc
* David Holt - thanks for that punch on the nose!
* family from north of England who had been at hostel for 10+ years! - he always wore dirty white singlet plus tats - lots of kids
* Mr Van Huet - el supremo - a man to be feared if you were a kid
* the old quarry next door which had a rotting carcass of some large animal in its lake
* scotch thistles as far as the eye could see
* sumptous accommodation for some of the army officers at the co-located barracks
* Bill and Kena Rattu (and their lovely daughter, who I had a crush on)
* kids with crew cuts (avoid - "they've got ringworm")
* b&w tv's turned up loud to 'Combat' theme
* long walks across paddocks, past swimming pool, historic gravesite, to Broady High
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the " baldy" kids who had ringworm! At Altona hostel.
And the Artichoke Thistles are still thriving all over the region.
kate fletcher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember lots of ringworm cases at Holmesglen Hostel.

I went with my parents to Ringwood one day, muddled the name up in my mind and thought I was in the place where ringworm came from. I was terrified for days that I'd have to have my hair shaved off.
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Ringworm / Hepatitis spread at Hostels. Reply with quote

All this talk of ringworm reminds me that when we arrived at Bunnerong Hostel in 1960. There were whole lot of kids around with shaved heads and red colored patches...presumably from the application of ointments.
Once again a new experience, had never heard or seen it in England...so another culture shock amongst many more new experiences to behold! Luckily I managed to avoid catching it.
Another scourge was also present, the catching of Hepatitis...this laid a lot of people low with ongoing health issues. Once again our family escaped it, and as with ringworm ...had never encountered it UK.
Do any of you fellow Migrants have recollection of these diseases at the Hostels?
kate fletcher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember any hepatitis cases at Holmesglen, but there was an outbreak of measles, closely followed by chicken pox, right at the start of the 1959 summer holidays that blighted Christmas for lots of us kids.

It was awful, having a fever in an airless oven-like Nissen hut..
loubeau

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
I was at Broadmeadows Hostel from August 7 1964 to January 1965. My parents were Arthur and Gladys Beaumont. I had a sister Lynette aged 6 and my mother gave birth to another sister, Jacqueline in October 1964. I was 11 at the time.
Any chance you remember me?
juanisjam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doe's anyone remember a Spanish family with 5 children, 2 boys and 3 girls. My mother worked in the kitchen and my father worked at the Ford factory. We were housed at the far end of the camp next to Camp Road.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Other Hostels: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: