Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Organized Outing Fairymeadow/Balgownie

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fairymeadow (Balgownie) Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:


Joined: 05 Jan 2007

Posts: 544
Location: New Zealand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Organized Outing Fairymeadow/Balgownie Reply with quote

Hi Len
Here is an interesting snippet out of the staff journal and I wonder if any one remembers this day.It is out of Feb. 1974 Tidings.
Quote:
Cooking in the Rain.
Fairy Meadow Housing Officer, Mr. Langley and Neville Pitt, Supervisor of Youth Activities,produced hamburgers and sausages under difficulties for a barbecue picnic at Warragamba Dam on January 3. Between heavy showers they got a fire going, and the results were pronounced good.

Three buses had been hired to take 138 parents and children from Fairymeadow to the picnic area,so they couln't be let down. And 'Skip' Marley saved the day for the picnickers by hiring the Scout Hall.

After an enjoyable meal , the party visited the lion and dolphin Parks, and saw the animals fed.
After a round trip of some 120 miles they were all rather weary, but unanimous in their thanks to the organisers for a wonderful days outing...

unquote..

Sadly in August 1977 Neville died .He had been unwell for quite a while.
He was a very dear friend of ours and we had the greatest love and respect for both he and his father,whose home we spent many happy times at. We kept in touch with Nev. until he died and I saw his Dad when I was in Australia in 1979. I also saw them in 1975 when I was over there.staying with them for a week and a half .He is still missed by the surviving members of our family.
_________________
Kind regards,
Phyl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Len
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 24 Aug 2004

Posts: 885
Location: Great Harwood, Blackburn. UK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phyl
Thanks for the quote from your staffís journal, itís very interesting. Wouldnít of thought youíd of got much rain in peak summer but, there you go. hehe
Warragamba dam was also a popular venue with us lot from the Unanderra hostel and I did have a couple of old photos of one of our trips but they have disappeared.

Would be great, if there were someone out there that had attended this BBQ and perhaps has an odd photo or two that they could possibly share by adding them to this thread. Smile

Sorry to hear about your friend Neville because itís never easy loosing good friends.
.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:


Joined: 05 Jan 2007

Posts: 544
Location: New Zealand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Len,
Indeed we did get downpours in peak summer. Mostly from thunderstorms that built up during the heat of the day and did the rain pour down. Rolling Eyes Wow !
Thankyou for your condolence ,you are right it is hard to lose good friends cry .
Told friends about your site. They are in Australia. He is going to have a browse. He also was a Manager.

Have you seen the comet. Saw it last night .it's awesome. Very impressive.
_________________
Kind regards,
Phyl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Len
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 24 Aug 2004

Posts: 885
Location: Great Harwood, Blackburn. UK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Told friends about your site. They are in Australia. He is going to have a browse. He also was a Manager.
Thatís great, thanks Phyl, more the merrier but I can understand why a lot of people are probably reluctant to join and that's because, I can imagine that thereís nothing worse than considering joining a message board when thereís not many people in it, Embarassed but we have to start somewhere and the more that do join, the more chance of others joining in. Smile

Quote:
Have you seen the comet. Saw it last night .it's awesome. Very impressive.
No I havenít seen the comet or heard anything about it. It must be out of our range over here otherwise Iím sure it would have been mentioned on the local tv news. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Jeanette313
Active Member
Active Member


Joined: 13 Aug 2008

Posts: 11
Location: Brisbane

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Organized Outing Fairymeadow/Balgownie Reply with quote

Phyl wrote:
Hi Len
Here is an interesting snippet out of the staff journal and I wonder if any one remembers this day.It is out of Feb. 1974 Tidings.
Quote:
Cooking in the Rain.
Fairy Meadow Housing Officer, Mr. Langley and Neville Pitt, Supervisor of Youth Activities,produced hamburgers and sausages under difficulties for a barbecue picnic at Warragamba Dam on January 3. Between heavy showers they got a fire going, and the results were pronounced good.

Three buses had been hired to take 138 parents and children from Fairymeadow to the picnic area,so they couln't be let down. And 'Skip' Marley saved the day for the picnickers by hiring the Scout Hall.

After an enjoyable meal , the party visited the lion and dolphin Parks, and saw the animals fed.
After a round trip of some 120 miles they were all rather weary, but unanimous in their thanks to the organisers for a wonderful days outing...

unquote..

Sadly in August 1977 Neville died .He had been unwell for quite a while.
He was a very dear friend of ours and we had the greatest love and respect for both he and his father,whose home we spent many happy times at. We kept in touch with Nev. until he died and I saw his Dad when I was in Australia in 1979. I also saw them in 1975 when I was over there.staying with them for a week and a half .He is still missed by the surviving members of our family.
Quote:
Would you know the whereabouts of Skip Marley ??

_________________
1970 Fairy Meadow Hostel Migrant from UK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:


Joined: 05 Jan 2007

Posts: 544
Location: New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeanette,
Great to read your post and sadly I can't help you with anyone "Skip"
became a Manager with CHL and the last I heard of him he was Manager in charge at Endeavour Hostel in 1982. Of course hostels are long gone and we had returned to NZ before that time.So not sure where he went to.
I do keep in touch with some folk but he is not one of them.
_________________
Kind regards,
Phyl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Jeanette313
Active Member
Active Member


Joined: 13 Aug 2008

Posts: 11
Location: Brisbane

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Phyl for letting me know about Skip, I dont know if you knew him but he was a really lovely caring man and always made sure the teenagers and children were looked after and included in the activities at the Rec. It seems so longer ago yet at the same time almost like yesterday, nice memories all the same.
_________________
1970 Fairy Meadow Hostel Migrant from UK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:


Joined: 05 Jan 2007

Posts: 544
Location: New Zealand

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeanette,
Yes I knew "Skip" very well and you are right he was a very nice, caring fellow. CHL were indeed fortunate to have employed him. Smile
_________________
Kind regards,
Phyl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred
Active Member
Active Member


Joined: 26 Mar 2007

Posts: 152
Location: Melbourne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Organized Outing Fairymeadow/Balgownie Reply with quote

Jeanette, I just saw your quote re "Skip" I was at East Hills Hostel in 1966 to 1968. I knew a "Skip" as I was in the hostel soccer team. Can you please reply for more information. Richard Hallford
Jeanette313 wrote:
Phyl wrote:
Hi Len
Here is an interesting snippet out of the staff journal and I wonder if any one remembers this day.It is out of Feb. 1974 Tidings.
Quote:
Cooking in the Rain.
Fairy Meadow Housing Officer, Mr. Langley and Neville Pitt, Supervisor of Youth Activities,produced hamburgers and sausages under difficulties for a barbecue picnic at Warragamba Dam on January 3. Between heavy showers they got a fire going, and the results were pronounced good.

Three buses had been hired to take 138 parents and children from Fairymeadow to the picnic area,so they couln't be let down. And 'Skip' Marley saved the day for the picnickers by hiring the Scout Hall.

After an enjoyable meal , the party visited the lion and dolphin Parks, and saw the animals fed.
After a round trip of some 120 miles they were all rather weary, but unanimous in their thanks to the organisers for a wonderful days outing...

unquote..

Sadly in August 1977 Neville died .He had been unwell for quite a while.
He was a very dear friend of ours and we had the greatest love and respect for both he and his father,whose home we spent many happy times at. We kept in touch with Nev. until he died and I saw his Dad when I was in Australia in 1979. I also saw them in 1975 when I was over there.staying with them for a week and a half .He is still missed by the surviving members of our family.
Quote:
Would you know the whereabouts of Skip Marley ??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fairymeadow (Balgownie) Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
 
 
Copyright © 2003 migrantweb.com
Images on this site are owned. Reproducing, republishing or mirroring on other WebPages or websites without permission is not permitted.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group