Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

School (Midway)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adrian5035

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: School (Midway) Reply with quote

I was at Midway in 1969/1970, i wish i could remember the name of the school i went too.
Anyone remember the little nissan hut library and the swings on the waste ground.
Regards
Adrian.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may have been Ascot Vale Primary, opposite the Showgrounds.
adrian5035

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Thanx Reply with quote

Thanx for the reply,
but i dont rember a show ground opposite.
It was on a small hill, with some open ground at the top, thre was an aborigine man who worked there clearing up the litter and so on.
The toilets were outside, made of corrugated sheeting, at the back was a football field on another small hill.
There was a red and cream bus that took us there, but it was walkable.
Regards
Adrian.
adrian5035

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Addendum Reply with quote

Another thing i remember is that on the journey to and fro i would pass what seemed to a 10 year old, a huge compound/ scrap yard of old military and other vehicles.
Regards
Adrian.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then it was probably Maribyrnong Primary School on Warr's Road, close to the Department of Defence Explosives complex, hence the military vehicles. You would have seen the Maribyrnong River down below.It was demolished in 1993 and replaced with a housing estate, and the football ground is now part of the car park for the huge Highpoint shopping centre. There is a very active Facebook page for this school, and lots of old photos including some from your era. The bus company was probably Sitch, their buses were red and cream. They were our school buses from the Altona hostel. The Midway Hostel is now student accommodation, and behind is an immigration detention centre.
adrian5035

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Thankyou Reply with quote

THANKYOU

Mr. Green

This means a lot to me
once again

Thanx
Regards
Adrian
P.S were you in midway

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Altona hostel in 1964, age 9, then we built a house in Altona. When I got married we lived in Footscray for 12 years, so I had a bit to do with the Maribyrnong area as Highpoint was my shopping precinct. I also worked there for a while in 1975-76 when it was first built but wouldn't have noticed the school as the complex was only tiny then, and the school was at the far corner of what is now massive expansions and a giant carpark. But my husband remembers it well. If you google earth PRIMARY PLACE and WARR'S ROAD, MARIBYRNONG you'll see what it looks like now. And definitely check out the Facebook page. Anything else you remember? I used to love our weekly shopping trips into Footscray, having lunch in Coles cafeteria and buying my Thunderbirds novels in Ward's newsagents. Good times!
adrian5035

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: school Reply with quote

i remember footscray - going on the trams.
Theres a dam near or in melbourne, we went there once.
Any one else get the bus from midway to shool remember the woman who used to comfort the screaming kids, some were unconsolable, she was lovely and so patient.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have been Yan Yean, it's the oldest dam and probably was the closest to Midway. The trams are still running to Footscray, that's one thing that hasn't changed. The munitions factory site along the way is now a mini- suburb of quality housing.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to get the Moonee Ponds bus to Maribyrnong Hostel when we were there in 1955. Not sure if that's Moonee or Moonie Embarassed
IrishBob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: School (Midway) Reply with quote

adrian5035 wrote:
I was at Midway in 1969/1970, i wish i could remember the name of the school i went too.
Anyone remember the little nissan hut library and the swings on the waste ground.
Regards
Adrian.

Hi Adrian

If I remember correctly the name was Maribyrnong Primary School ( as has already been posted here) . It was on Warrs Road ( where all the posts describe it was). I remember a few other things that you might be interested in ( and some that you may recall as well) .

I was 10 when I arrived at Midway at the end of April 1970 and I have many memories of aspects of life in the migrant hostel. On weekends, I used to catch the 82 tram to Footscray and sometimes we took the train from Footscray to Spencer St station ( as it was known before it was overhauled and renamed) . And on schooldays, I caught the cream and red bus to the primary school - the one on Warrs road that had bitumen netball courts ( where the 1970 school photos were taken but that I wasn't in!) and wooden shelter sheds and a football (Aussie Rules) field up the hill ( with a curved fence around most of it). The soccer field was down Warrs Rd - across Raleigh Road on Maribyrnong Reserve. Once a week, we used to parade ( march to music) around the netball courts in the morning to end the school assembly and a few times we ran "around the block" on warrs rd and back along the aptly named "Hillside crescent".

We lived in the BEMM block at Midway for about 8 months (only) and then, not long after the collapse of the section of the Westgate Bridge ( during construction), we moved to Perth. I've moved many times since. Approximately 20, in fact.

I hadn't been back to Melbourne for just over 40 years when I went for a few days with my daughter to the Exhibition of Egyptian artifacts at the Melbourne Museum in 2011. We landed at Melbourne Tullamarine which, I recall clearly, had opened in 1970 while we were living at Midway. In 2011, it felt very nostalgic to catch one of the circle line trams that used to make the run on route 59 showing "Essendon Airport" (where we landed in April 1970 , arriving from Sydney a short time before Tullamarine opened ) and route 82 from Footscray to Moonee Ponds which I used to catch almost every Saturday and sometimes we took the 57 into Elizabeth St. We sat by the open doorway in those days. ( I think there may have been no door to close, I'm not sure). And we bought paper tickets from the conductor each time we travelled. I kept some of those coloured tickets for many years but I suspect they were eventually lost or left behind in one of the many moves, somewhere along the way.

In 1970, Mr Dundas was the principal at the school and Grade5+6 ( mixed classes of the oldest kids, I think) had classes taught by Mr Kettle ( an older gentleman who seemed very nice) and a younger Mr Rogers (I don't exactly know how to spell their names) and there was also a younger female Year6 teacher whose last name began with L I think. I was in Mr Roger's class. I remember there was one boy in the class whose last name was Wilkinson and another whose first name was Robert.

I recall the Midway library quite well and at least one of the swings that you mention. I borrowed a few books from the library and I think there was more than one playground with swings and things. There was one that we played on near a "climbing rack" of metal bars (not far from the back of the BEMM block).

I had a small group of friends in Midway (some from school) who were mostly English or Irish but at least one was Dutch. Their names included David T, Susan G, Julian, Frances McK, Hazel, John and one was a nice chap with fair hair called Adrian.
hazand1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adrian,
It was definitely Maribyrnong Primary School. I was there myself in as we arrived at Midway Hostel in May 1970. I also noticed Irish Bobs post and remember the names he has posted including my own!

Hazel
IrishBob

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hazel wrote:

� we arrived at Midway Hostel in May 1970. I also noticed Irish Bobs post and remember the names he has posted including my own!

Hazel
Hi Hazel,

It's been a long time.

Please post or 'pm' me.

All the best

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: