Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cabramatta Hostel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Cabramatta Hostel Reply with quote

Hi Len,
In 1956 there were few Television sets on Cabramatta Hostel.We were lucky,(or unlucky depending on whether you liked TV or not) to have one and quite a few of the hostel children would gather at our house to watch TV in the early evening. One boy called William was always saying to me "Can I 'elp you Mrs. 'obbs" My own boys were at that time 2yrs 9 months and 9 months old.The children were always polite and they lived in the vicinity of our place.So they came for quite a while, till we were transferred to Colmslie Hostel. To farewell us the Children's choir sang some songs to me and presented me with a bunch of flowers and gave me some little gifts. Sadly I was unable to take the flowers across the Queensland border but I still have the embroided tray cloth one of the mothers' gave me that day. It is certainly a lovely memory. I wonder if anyone remembers those days Smile
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Len and Roy,
Further to lovely memories on "Cabra" on our second trip there in 1965, a very nice family who were leaving the hostel and may, I think, have been returning to their own country, gave me 6 LPs. Most were gospel songs sung by Tennesse Ernie Ford, ( They were very religious,I think he was a lay Preacher) Do you know, I have just about worn those records out over the past 42yrs. Really nice music with a bit of oommph in them.Tap your feet. Very Happy I sure thank that family. I'm just fortunate to still have a sterio with a turntable.Anyway next post might tell you some boys stuff my own kids got up to one day at East Hills. You must be sick of this sentimental stuff
Len

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn�t it be good Phyl if the family concerned eventually found these forums and read your post?
I did a quick search for �Tennessee Ernie Ford� and came up with his home page.
http://www.ernieford.com/

No worries about sentimental memories, all very interesting and I�m sure others will enjoy the read and perhaps jog a few memories.

If you have any pics Phly, send them to me and I'll put them in.

Smile
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Len ,
Thanks for that. You are up late . I see it is 11.15 pm over there. We are 12.22 pm Thursday lunchtime and I'm off to groceries this afternoon Yuk Exclamation Mind you I go to bed about the same time as you are now.
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Len
Forgot to say I'll send a pic. or two when I am online next and it would be lovely if those folk read the posts .because I can't thank them enough for their contribution to my life. The shower calls.
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Len ,
Have a couple of photos of my boys at CAbramatta, or "Cabra" as we used to call it affectionately. I have cut the top part out to send you. I have resized them and tried to sharpen them so not sure how they will reproduce. But shows a little of the hostel in 1965. I'll just go and send them. Smile
wave

Len

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, great photos Phyl. Smile
I have tweaked them a little myself and have added them to the Cabramatta images thread.
http://www.migrantweb.com/hostelsforum/viewtopic.php?t=182

smile
Katherine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Cabramatta Hostel Reply with quote

Hello, I lived at Cabramatta Hostel from September 1960 till we moved to Broughton Hostel in Burwood May 1962. My Mum has photos of the Hostels hope I will be able to put them on this web site soon. We The Gilroys lived in hut 127 abc A family called Seniors from Manchester lived at the other end of the hut, they went back to UK our hut was close to the water tower. I went to Cabramatta High School so did the singer John English as he lived at the hostel. I used to baby sit for The Hockneys years later I found out his brother is the famous artist Hockney. The Managers name was Mr Fletcher. I have fond memories of the (Rec)Wreck Room. I did attend the Fairfield Council Hostels reunion a few years ago and met up with the Taylors. When we moved to Burwood it was great too just a lot smaller and food much better. Cheers Katherine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: