Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weather forecast, Snow.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Len

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Weather forecast, Snow. Reply with quote

Well, weather forecasters have predicted that for us lot here in the North West of England, chances are,we may get some snow sometime mid week.
We haven�t had any decent snow in the North West for ages, must be due to global warming or something. We had a bit of snow on Christmas day 2005 which was nice as at the time it was Christmas day. hehe

If it�s going to be a good do, then I�ll put some pics up. But then again, you know what weather forecasters are like, they always get it wrong. cry

Smile
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Len
You may get snow and we are at long last basking in sunshine though the North Island is getting downpours It sure is funny weather we are all having. Confused Though you are in the last month of winter aren't you?

Are you near Cumbria? We have friends there Smile
Roy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been 18c here today, sun shinning and a nice gentle sea breeze.

Kind of nice really, in fact just about perfect .
Len

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It�s was around minus 5`c this morning when I set off to work at 6.55am. All the parked cars in the street were covered in frost and I had to go out with a small plastic watering can containing warm water so as to de-ice my windscreen. They say it�s to be the same tonight, lovely. Smile hehe
To be honest thou, it�s been quite mild these last few years, apart from the occasional mini freeze that we�ve had. I myself don�t mind a bit of cold or freshly laid snow, there�s something surreal about it.

Not long now before spring and if the weather is right I�ll probably chuck my tent in the car and end up in North Yorkshire at small village called Malham. I go to Malham quite often as it�s my favourite place to go walking, the scenery is fabulous, especially around spring.
When I do go, I mainly go at weekends, Friday- Sunday weather permitting etc. Another plus about it is that its only an hours drive from my home here in Lancashire.
Try doing a google image search for Malham and see what comes up.

Roy wrote:
Its been 18c here today, sun shinning and a nice gentle sea breeze.
Kind of nice really, in fact just about perfect .
tongue

Phyl, you haven�t met Roy yet, so to speak. He was one of the older lads �A block� Unanderra hostel the ones that used to bully us younger ones if we were one the pinball machine when they wanted it. Mr. Green

It�s great to have you back Roy. There�s been loads of problems with the other forums.

smile
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Len,
Brrrr.. Don't remnd me. We Have ghastly winter to come. Will look upi your favourite tramping place on google. My son loves the ice and snow too as he is a mountaineer.internationally qualified montain and ski guide,too scary for me thankyou.
Also nice to meet you Roy . I see you live in Hobart , Sort of similiar to Timaru weather though we can get it hotter than 18 degrees occasionally.
I have read about you in Unanderra posts and had a giggle about some of the things you wrote.
Anyway I'm off to google your tramping spot Len,Will write down the name so I don't forget it.
Roy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to meet you too Phyl.

I gather you were connected to hostel management. I dont think I was Mr Hoppers favourite guest although I was very good friends with his son Roger.

As for the weather, it can get up to 40 degrees now and again here but probably averages 26 or so at this time of year.

Len

I recall going to Mallam sometime in my long lost past. Are there potholes up there? if there are then I probably went with the school potholing club.
Len

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No snow yet but apparently everywhere else is getting it but not here. Sad

Roy wrote:

I recall going to Mallam sometime in my long lost past. Are there potholes up there? if there are then I probably went with the school potholing club.

I haven�t personally heard of any potholes located around Malham, apart from one, it�s located at the base of Malham cove and it�s flooded/ a spring and apparently divers used to enter it a few years ago but Malham is certainly in the right area for potholes and onwards toward the Lake District.
I know that there�s a youth hostel located at Malham perhaps it was there that you stayed, or did you camp?

Smile
Roy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Len we camped.

The cave was very wet as I remember but not wet enough to need diving gear.
Len

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There�s a very popular cave at Ingleton �White Scar Cave�. It�s in the Yorkshire dales and not too far from Malham. I�ve never been myself but have passed by several times. I found this site and there are many other sites about it on google.

http://www.whitescarcave.co.uk/frame.htm

Smile
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roy ,
See you are on line ,what's the weather like in Hobart today, One of my son 's is in Sydney. The other in NZ. Funnily enough the one in Sydney is NZ born and the one in OZ is NZ born. Smile
Anyway have a great day and hope the sun is shining.

Hope Len it's not too cold where you are.
Len

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phyl wrote:

Hope Len it's not too cold where you are.

It�s not too bad here now. We missed all the forecasted heavy snow in the North West. The rest of the country had 3 or 4 inches and was brought to a halt.
Silly really as we expect some snow and ice conditions in the uk and we should be prepared for it but we never are. A little white stuff on the ground and everything closes.
Another silly situation that we have in the UK is that it rains quite a lot and there�s water everywhere. Usually you can�t even get to your car without getting wet. Mr. Green hehe
Yet when summer comes around and if we are luck and the temperatures sore into the mid 80�s i.e. degrees and should it lasts for a few weeks then there�s talk of hosepipe bans, no water, unbelievable.

smile
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Len,
I can sure relate to what you are saying. The same happens here. Last year we had some unseasonal snow in our village and in Timaru .No power for us for 36 hours and boy, did we freeze .Some parts were out of power for about three weeks especially farms but they did have some heating with fireplaces .We just froze because we were reliant on electricity. Hope your winter is not an indication of what's ahead,again for us. cry Some years we may get a few flakes and light covering but not like the last dump.It was still on the ground in parts of our place two weeks later.BBrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!! Hope you have a lovely Spring. without the water restrictions.We have those too.
Roy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have water restrictions at the moment .

No washing the car with a hose , only a bucket,

Watering the garden only on odds and even days,

The thing is we have plenty of water in the lakes and councils admit that there isnt a shortage but they like to keep the pressure up in the mains in case of bush fires. That is a good point but surely it only applys when we have bush fires. Maybe they are just conditioning us for the future.

As for electricity, we have about 90% hydro power and some wind turbines, we also have a back up gas fired station that is only used for times of drought. Power cuts or outages are rare and I cant remember any industrial action causing shut downs ever. Matter of fact Im thinking of switching to aircon/heat pump as it appears to be cheaper than oil heating and cleaner.
Len

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You surprised me there Phyl, I didn�t know you got snow in New Zealand. Surprised
There�s me thinking we had something special over here. Smile
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We sure do get snow in NZ Len. Have you not heard of our beautiful Southern Alps and the magnificent Mt. Cook .I will have to send you a photo. Mt Cook is dangerous too. Many climbers have lost their lives on the mountain. If you go to www.mtcook.com you will see the lovely snow and ice caves etc... Will have to find a nice photo of Mt Cook. Southern Alps Guiding is my son's business and there is also a photo of him at the bottom of the page there. Charlie Hobbs his name. www.mtcook.com is his website . This really is a beautiful country though I miss the lovely scenery of Australia. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: