Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Matraville Hostel images:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Other Hostels:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Len

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Matraville Hostel images: Reply with quote

Matraville Hostel images:
If you have any photos that you�d like to share and add to this thread then please contact me.
Feel free to comment on any of the photos below or follow the links to the appropriate threads.

Please note:
Images on this site are owned.
Copying images or linking too is not permitted. If you feel that you would like to use an image from this site then please ask. Asking goes along way, respect.
Len

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

photo #1
Shared by Phyl Hobbs.

This photo was taken at Matraville hostel 1959.
Photo subject: Phyl�s late son Allan playing outside their flat.

Phyl said;
This photo is my late son Allan at Matraville Hostel. The photo gives you an idea of the vastness of the buildings there. To the left of Allan was our flat and to the right was the office and dining room further down on the left were the staff flats.
It was lovely for the kids to play on that boarding because it was covered. I loved it there.

JoopMul JoopMul has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Late 1956. Reply with quote

At one stage, while we lived in Matraville Hostel, my father worked there, briefly, as a general hand. My mother and our friend, Gerda van Hoorn, worked in the kitchen/dining room.

Late 1956 - Early 1957.

(My mother on the left. Gerda van Hoorn, right.)

Jo(op)
--
http://redbubble.com/people/mrjoop
Many of my stories about those years, here.
http://redbubble.com/people/ozcloggie
JoopMul JoopMul has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked at my old pictures of Matraville Hostel so often but, only after seeing the one above, have I now remembered that there was that space, in between and it makes me think of how often I went through those doorways, to go to the dining-room and elsewhere.

This photo, I took from the hill, between the hostel and the shopping centre (After we'd lived there and had moved into Flint Street, Matraville.)
This was the spot where, for the last time, each morning, I would wave good-bye to my mother, as I headed off to Matraville Public School, during the last few weeks, of 1956.
As a retired primary school teacher and parent, I know how parents feel about sending their children off to school, to be in the care and under the influence of other adults (who might think differently).
My mother was sending her only child off to school where people spoke English and she had no influence at all on what went on.
However, I must mention that, even after my non-verbal I.Q. test, in the Department of Education's head office, in Bridge Street, where the man testing me, got me to explain to my mother that I had an above average i.q.. (In high school I believe that I saw my record card and that it was only JUST above average.)
I must mention that when Matraville Public School wanted to send me to South Sydney Boys Technical High School, somehow my parents were able to insist that I'd always wanted to be a teacher and I was sent to South Sydney Boys Junior High School, in Randwick.
Our two rooms were just to the right of that first black-looking construction, sticking out. From that spot we stood there one night and watched Sputnik go over.
In that spot, my father accidentally killed my cat. (Drove over him.)
And it was in that area, that Gerda likes to tell that she stood and shouted at the K.L.M. aeroplane, overhead: Take me home!!! :)[/b]
Two years ago, I attended a 50 year-in-Australia celebration, held by friends, in a backyard, in South Hurstville. (I was invited, not only because, since the Matraville Hostel days, we'd known each other, but also to play Dutch tunes on the piano accordion.) *
The friend who did much of the organising had contacted me. She prepared a book, to give to all the descendants of her parents, who had brought her to Australia, on the next trip of the J.v.O., after ours, in December 1956.
She'd wanted to write about the history of Matraville Hostel. (She's not on the internet.)
I contacted the central library, in Randwick (next to where South Sydney Boys Junior High used to be) and they found out when it was first used as a hostel and when it was closed. (I shall search for that information again.)
Please DO take a look.
I was so impressed that day, with the way these two brothers and the sister had gathered, on a perfect, sunny, Sydney day, to, in a way, give thanks to their late parents, for bringing them to Australia. (There had been much water under the bridge.)
* The man, with the guitar, sang traditional folk songs, like Botany Bay, Click Go the Shears, Road to Gundagai, etc.....
** There is a Dutch childens' song about making paper hats. I played and Berlio taught all her grand-children how to make the hats. (Please have a look.)
Berlio is the lady (and fellow ex-Maroubra Bay High School student, who made me aware of the darker side of living in Matraville Hostel.
Len

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a new photo, shared by Steve.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Other Hostels: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: