Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hostel Managers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fairymeadow (Balgownie) Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Len

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Hostel Managers. Reply with quote

Does any one know who the Hostel managers where?

I received an e-mail from Mick Atkin during the last few days and he informs me that he recalls that the general manager of Balgownie hostel during 1957-1958 was a Mr Grey or Gray. Can anyone confirm this?
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Hostel Manager Reply with quote

Dear Len,

I am not sure whether Mr. Gray was ever at Balgownie/Fairymeadow or not but he was at Berkeley as Manager in charge when we were there.
Edward John Kelly Edward John Kelly has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hostel Manager Reply with quote

Phyl wrote:
Dear Len,

I am not sure whether Mr. Gray was ever at Balgownie/Fairymeadow or not but he was at Berkeley as Manager in charge when we were there.

Hi Len, Roy Gray was the house manager at Balgownie, my Father was Manager, Godfrey Leech was Ast House Manager, Ken Clifton-Dobing was Catering manager, Brian Wood was Ast Catering Mgr., at that time I was Catering manager, at Norlane in Victoria. I have some 'photos if you would like me to scan and send them to you, regards to all who access this web site,
Cheers, Edward ( Ted ) J. Kelly.
Len

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info but unfortunately I have lost the original email that I�d received from Mick �as well as many other things� my hard drive in my pc broke and I ended up having to get a new pc. I also got myself an extra plugin hard drive so this time I can at least back most thing up before it can happen again. Embarassed

Edward John Kelly wrote:
I have some 'photos if you would like me to scan and send them to you,

Ted that would be great, if you can scan them to a size of around 150kb and email them to me I�ll do as I�ve done with Phyl�s photos, then add them to the forums. you can find my email address by clicking on my profile button located at the bottom of my posts.

Smile
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Len and hi Ted,
Gosh ,I remember all the Managers you have mentioned above Ted. Tony worked with a few too. Will be wonderful if you send in some photos Can't wait Very Happy
Gee Len this is great.
Jeanette313

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Hostel Manager Reply with quote

Edward John Kelly wrote:
Phyl wrote:
Dear Len,

Hi Len, Roy Gray was the house manager at Balgownie, my Father was Manager, Godfrey Leech was Ast House Manager, Ken Clifton-Dobing was Catering manager, Brian Wood was Ast Catering Mgr., at that time I was Catering manager, at Norlane in Victoria. I have some 'photos if you would like me to scan and send them to you, regards to all who access this web site,

Dear Edward, I was at Fairy meadow Hostel arrived October 1970 I have been trying to locate a friend I knew on the hostel called John Lojze he was from Austria and aged 21 back then he used to do a lot of gymnastic work in the Rec with Skip as well as a good artist. Would you know if Skip is still alive. John did leave Fairy Meadow Hostel in 1971 and went to Karingal Mens Hostel in Cringila whilst he was working at the steelworks, I just want to contact him for family reasons as my parents are now getting on and would also like to see him again, have you any tips on where I could enquire your help would be greatly appreciated Jeanette
Edward John Kelly Edward John Kelly has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hostel Manager Reply with quote

[quote="Jeanette313"]
Edward John Kelly wrote:
Phyl wrote:
Dear Len,

Quote:
Dear Edward, I was at Fairy meadow Hostel arrived October 1970 I have been trying to locate a friend I knew on the hostel called John Lojze he was from Austria and aged 21 back then he used to do a lot of gymnastic work in the Rec with Skip as well as a good artist. Would you know if Skip is still alive. John did leave Fairy Meadow Hostel in 1971 and went to Karingal Mens Hostel in Cringila whilst he was working at the steelworks, I just want to contact him for family reasons as my parents are now getting on and would also like to see him again, have you any tips on where I could enquire your help would be greatly appreciated Jeanette

Hi Jeanette, You may try Googling John Lojze, that is putting John's name into Google Australia, and wait for the results, should take a second or two,
Cheers, Ted.
Jeanette313

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ted I will give it another try I have done a google search before and nothing came up, but thanks for your reply even so. Jeanette
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Jeanette,
Have you tried the phone book online to see if he is there. I am careful about putting living on the forum as privacy acts are so strong.
Some of the managers mentioned are now deceased,so think it is okay to mention them. Skip and the chap you mention should still be around though. To find Skip you would need to know his name as there were Skips on all hostels. But if you live in Australia I would suggest you search the phone book at www.whitepages.com.au
Ken Clifton-Dobing ,an extemely nice man ,was the State Manager in N.S.W. by the time we left the Company in 1973. We were very sad when he died. Sad
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeanette
Have searched through Australian phone book for John Lojze without any luck. Perhaps he returned to his own country or doesn't have the phone or something. Sad
Jeanette313

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Phyl

Thanks so much for the white pages advice and your looking on it for me. It could be possible he has an unlisted number, I have also tried the National Archives for Immigration with no success, if I could just get hold of the accomodation records of Fairy Meadow Hostel for the year we knew John I am sure I would find something, but I dont know who would keep such records. I never give up without a fight and for my parents I will try and find him, probably will take a little while longer thats all, but again thanks so much for generous help it has been much appreciated. Jeanette
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Old freind advice Reply with quote

Jeanette. I also have had a quick search of the NAA. the Lojze name comes up as part of a Yugoslavian fetival. I know you sade he was from Austria, but sometimes things get mixed up. You might try the Yuguslavian Club, or the like in that area. They are active here in Melbourne. Also, you mention the steelworks. I just found an freinds from East Hills hostel via his workplace. I found the workplace on Freinds Reunited and traced him from there. Might be worth a shot. Its amazing how much footprint you leave behind you and dont realize. Rates bills, Land Titles, school freinds etc. Hope this helps. Think sideways rather than forwards. Richard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fairymeadow (Balgownie) Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: