Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Food
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Food Reply with quote

Hi Len,
This is just a short memory . I have put it under East Hills but I can't really remember where it happened ,maybe it was Villawood Confused . Villawood keeps popping into my mind.
My late husband loved food and as he was carrying a lot of weight I decided to put him on a diet. I did well too but he didn't lose any weight. One day I was in the hostel kitchen and one of the cooks came up to say hello. In his conversation was an interesting sentence:
" Mrs Hobbs, your husband just loves his food, he has a liittle bit here and a little bit there"
I tell you what was the use. From then on diet was not on the agenda Rolling Eyes
barkly barkly has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phyl

When I lived on the East Hills Hostel there were so many complaints about the food - must have been from whinging POMS - that there was what was referred to as a Food Riot - or Strike. The food was pretty basic - but we should also remember nutritious and when we left Engalnd in 1952 there was still rationing.

I remember only three things about the food - it is where I got an absolute hatred for macoroni cheese; when I got hepatitis A - and was only allowed to eat boiled potatoes with salt - how I still love them; and why I hated the school cribs - always plastic cheese.

Terry
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yum I love macaroni cheese. and spuds and you should have had something else in your cribs. Smile I loved cheese dishes but not so keen on raw cheese. and all that cholesterol
Rolling Eyes As you say though, the meals were nutritious and I did eat many of them myself especially when my boys wanted to eat with their friends .
phil phil has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, dont knock the food- my mum used to work in the canteen,
anyone remember the packed lunches for school ?
Len

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phil wrote:

They were known as cribs 'as barkly's mentioned'.
Ours were packaged something like this but with your name written on them, probably the same throughout the hostels. Mr. Green

Very Happy
phil phil has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: packed lunch Reply with quote

you had one all this time !, lol,
that sure brings back memories
6 sandwiches, piece of fruit and bit of cake if i remember rightly ?

p.s len ,love the site !
Steve Mc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the school lunches.
I actually remember swapping sandwiches and stuff with other "non-hostel" kids at school...they seemed to think it was cool to eat like us foreigners.
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Packed Lunches Reply with quote

phil wrote:
hey, dont knock the food- my mum used to work in the canteen,

I remember the packed lunches well. I used to get them every day!. There was always a piece of fruit in (usually a bannana or an oragne). My favourites where chocolate spread. I dont mean the Hazelunt spread thats available now, but Chocolate spread. It was a sort of dark chocolate. Also we used to get Strasburg and cheese sannys. Yes, I remember my Mum and Dad and freinds discussing the food, but I do believe that it was due to the poor British diet!. All our freinds got an electric frypan for the Nissan hut and some got deep chip fryers! Greasy. hehe
GinaKate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember those packed lunches, I hated them, all I wanted was a shilling to buy some chips. I didn't mind the fruit cake, that was edible, but we mostly got madera cake, it was always so dry. Roast beef sandwiches, four slices of white bread, butter spread on and then scraped off again, and a lump of fat, if you squinted you could just detect a bit of meat. The pigeons got mine.
Ann Ainsworth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Food Reply with quote

Iremember the packed lunches and having to write your order on the bags on a Sunday afternoon for the whole week!! Does anyone remember cheese and "liverwurst" sandwhiches? i think it was some kind of piccallili!! And the jam sandwiches we're always pink because the jam soaked through the bread!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ann, I remember the liverwusrst sanny's well. Actually I enjoyed them, (after I had taken the cheese out, which was in good shape come lunch time) I didnt mind them at all. Also, the pink squishy jam was something I had forgotten. But again, I enjoyed them.
Olly Olly has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister remembered a little ditty that used to be sung when we were on the hostel and it's sung to the tune of 'My Old Man's A Dustman'.

They say on Heathcote Hostel
The food is very fine
A pea rolled off the table
And killed a friend of mine

Don't know if there were any other verses - it's all we remember.

Olly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: ditties Reply with quote

Olly, funny you should mention that. I remember a little ditty that was sung by a young child that was shown on the "All our yesterdays" program, hosted by a guy called Brian somebody. It was a british show. It was about songs about local features and this one was the co-operative store. That used to be a supermarket during and after the war. this was where you took your ration book too and the song was about that. (I am too young to remember that) There were several verses, all gone now from my head, but the first one went.
" We sent her for butter, oh then oh then,
We sent her for butter, oh then oh then,
we sent her for butter (remainder of thewords in this linethis are gone from my head)
Down at the co-operative store"
Anyone remember this? Ive been trying to get the song since I was about 9 when I heard it. Richard
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All
Those dittys were also sung in the NZ Airforce.
Here's a couple more verses :

They say that in the Airforce the beds are mighty fine ,
But how the heck do they know ,they haven't slept in mine.

They say that in the airforce the shoes are mighty fine
You ask for number seven they give you number nine.

Each verse had the chorus after it as follows,

So I don't want no more of airforce life
Gee ma I wanna go but they won't let me go
Gee ma I wanna go home.

So guess you just change the name of the place you are singing about.
There were other verses including the one posted by Olly but can't think of them at the moment and of course other ditties too. Very Happy
GeoffT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, how I remember those crib liunches. As has been stated, plastic cheese or sticky peanut butter, a piece of fruit and a piece of madeira or fruit cake packaged in the brown paper bag with name on it. As I spent a fair amount of my school time wondering around the bush surrounding Heathcote Rd. Hostel with a couple of Irish boys, names long forgotten, these lunches were consumed long before they became stale. We would explore all over the area, including the army Holsworthy live fire area across Heathcote Road, where we would collect the 7.62mm black rubber blank rounds ejected from the SLR rifles. Little did I know that a few years down the track I would learn to strip and re-assemble those very same type of rifles.
Speaking of truancy, I definately recall getting six cuts of the cane across the hands on a regular basis at East Hills Boys High, and on cold mornings my fingers would turn blue. I reckon if I had been given the opportunity at the time I would have gone back to the UK like a flash.
My the memories are flooding back.
Geoff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: