Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Food
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vivien Rochester nee Lamb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my made those cribs and they werent bad her name was peggy lamb
Janine Smith nee Sedgwick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember those lunches, the sandwiches were awful and always stale, I only ever ate the cake and fruit.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that , but they were made fresh every day. Surprised
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They didnt have glad wrap then so we had to rely on greaseproof paper to keep our butties fresh,but in the Australian heat nothing was really good enough unfortunately
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had cheese a pickle for the first time on the hostel.

Maybe I was a very unfussy person, but I can't remember having a problem with my cribs. Perhaps too I made sure I chose things I liked, and varied them each day.
Sue G

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Food Reply with quote

I had forgotten about the school lunches, but the memories of filling in a week's worth of paper bags comes back to me. I remember the cake - I still like plain madeira cake! I remember we were very rarely allowed to order our lunch from the shop opposite the school. It was my first experience of the Aussie meat pie. It was great getting your paper bag with the very hot meat pie (no little foil trays in those days). The tomato sauce was squirted into the pie for you. Those pies always seemed more peppery than pies today - maybe to cover the taste of the questionable meat in them! Confused
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Lunches Reply with quote

Hi Phyl, thanks for starting this conversation. I trust all is well in NZ and all the best for 2013. Although not really being allowed (because of Dad) I did join in with my friends and place the usual 'crib'. We soon realised that if we included the words 'WORKER' on the crib bag we gained a much larger lunch, always remember the tomato sandwiches keeping the bread (sorta soggy) just like Granny made in England during Hop Picking times however the 'scones' were rock hard.

Geoff, took my breath for a minute, thinking I had at last found a long lost friend, sadly the years being different. In my years there I also had two Irish, three Welsh and a few English (from all over) mates. We also explored the bush as you described, did you also find Scouts Pool (?) and the nearby caves over in the Artillery range, a Regiment that I signed up to a few years later.

Were any of these persons still there when you arrived Geoff ? Peter Perkins, Geoff Perkins, Tommy McQue, Johnnie Macreana, David Walsh, Dougie Kirk, Ian Gall, Pam Kirk, Pam (?), Pat Kelly, Rosie Aldridge, Doreen Greenwood, Lucy Reid, Janet and Carol Andrews (twins but not look alike), Shirley Croucher, Irene Cross, Terry (?) I believe went to NZ with his parents and Chris (?) a great diver from the trees at Williams Creek or the footbridge crossing the Georges River.
1954, Cabramatta Hostel from England aboard S.S.Strathaird, followed by Matraville, Marybrinong, Broadmeadows, Williamstown, Heathcote Road and Bunnerong (various moves as dad was later in '54 engaged as a Hostel Manager.
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had cheese slices with vegemite for the first time on a sandwich at the Hostel. Took quite a bit of getting used to!
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure Norm and thanks for the good wishes.Same to you. Smile
kate fletcher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our brown paper crib bags had two large bread rolls in them at Holmesglen, and they were sealed in cellophane bags. It meant an awful lot of bread and a tiny amount of filling, but I was always hungry by lunch time so didn�t mind. I always wanted to order the chocolate spread, but my mother would never let me, although date spread was once allowed on my birthday. Mostly I had cheese and pickle.

We ordered from a canteen list of numbered fillings, writing our name on an empty crib bag and then adding something like 2x3, which would mean 2 bread rolls with cheese.
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, those chocolate spread sandwiches were my favourite. I used to squish it through any holes in the bread. Ive tried to get chocolate spread that tastes the same, but mostly found hazelnut spread.
I might have to bury some sandwiches in the bottom of a school bag for a few hours in a brown paper bag for it to taste the same!
Probably just my childhood memories playing me tricks. Again. :)
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewwww, gross! I buy Nutella for my youngest's lunch (believe it or not I've still got one at high school) and how she can eat that s***e is beyond me.
peterv

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richardhallford wrote:
You know, those chocolate spread sandwiches were my favourite. I used to squish it through any holes in the bread. Ive tried to get chocolate spread that tastes the same, but mostly found hazelnut spread.

Interesting. A fondly remembered specialty of my primary school (Artarmon in northern Sydney) was chocolate crusts. The chocolate spread was made at the canteen in a tub, and was no doubt a good way of using the crusts. I think they cost 3d. My memory was that the spread was much creamier than Nutella.
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Vegemite Reply with quote

Hi Richardhallford....and would you believe, we now have Kraft Brand Vegemite in a jar called Cheesybite, yep it is a true tase of the cheese and vegemite sandwiches we used to have.
1954, Cabramatta Hostel from England aboard S.S.Strathaird, followed by Matraville, Marybrinong, Broadmeadows, Williamstown, Heathcote Road and Bunnerong (various moves as dad was later in '54 engaged as a Hostel Manager.
Bluebird

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it's ok to share in this forum....the Heathcote Hostel one doesn't seem to be as active....I remember those lunches....sandwiches dried up....as if they'd been frozen and then thawed out. I liked the lunch orders from the shop near the school......much better!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: