Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Food
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joy52

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound as though it was the same on all hostels. I didn't mind the crib bags too much as I always chose baked beans for my sandwiches. I hated the seed cake though. Do you remember something called a "matchstick" which could be purchased from the shop close to the school. A pastry confection filled with mock cream and iced on top. Yum!
Joy52

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound as though it was the same on all hostels. I didn't mind the crib bags too much as I always chose baked beans for my sandwiches. I hated the seed cake though. Do you remember something called a "matchstick" which could be purchased from the shop close to the school. A pastry confection filled with mock cream and iced on top. Yum!
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matchsticks are alive and well, but only a few independent cake shops sell them now, and sadly their numbers are dwindling. I get mine from William Angliss in Latrobe Street, it's a trade school for the catering industry. They have a little bakery shop where you can buy the apprentices' work (at very low prices) and they usually have boxes of the best matchsticks with real cream.
Bluebird

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the Matchsicks....my sister was telling me that one of our neighbours on the hostel asked for peas with his meal from the canteen..and was told they were only for the babies under a certain age. Does anyone else remember this??
Joy52

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That shop in Latrobe St sounds just the ticket except that it is a bit far for me to go seeing as I live in Christchurch! I also remember my friend having a large dead blow fly on top of her plate of fish and chips. She wasn't impressed but we couldn't stop laughing.
ellender family

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject: Food Reply with quote

I was a 12 year old kid in 1961 at East Hills. We only went to the canteen once the first day we arrived, food was a bit change from the ship. The next day my parents bought a toaster, electric frying pan and a fridge and some food. The rest of the time we spent at the hostel was great.
keithd

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Mum and Dad Reply with quote

My mum and dad worked in the canteen (Ralph and Dorathy Davey) until 1958.
ninette

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the lunches well..that dark chocolate, some sort of meat and pickle, peanut butter..you could mix and match but only 2 choices. Madeira or chocolate cake and a bit of fruit. I loved the days we got money to buy lunch. I got a pie and crisps took the top off the pie and scooped out the meat with the crisps (i still do that to this day!) and a cake called a matchstick..layers of flakey pastry, jam and cream. I always loved food and we didn't get much back in England. I even liked most of the hostel dinners especially the fish and chips on Fridays, the potato fritters Sundays and all the desserts especially the pineapple pudding( puddings were served from massive tin trays) We used to have fights with peas and fire them at people when they weren't looking (yes that was me!) We would also wag school and spend the whole day trekking across the Army Dump. There were spiders big as saucers dangling in the trees. We'd get all the way to the East Hills shops and in big trouble when we got home. This forum is great. So many memories coming back. I was the Girl School Captain 1963 at Hammondville Primary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: