Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kelpie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fairymeadow (Balgownie) Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Kelpie Reply with quote

Hi Len,
Thought I would share with you all the robbery we had a t Balgownie. I share it because it had a nice ending. It happened in 1963.

One night in the middle of the night our dog ,Kelpie by name and Kelpie by nature,jumped on our bed and very quietly woke us up. When Tony got up , Kelpie raced to the bedroom door and started to bark and when Tony opened the door he raced down the hall to the living area. Some persons unknown took of through the open door but the TV. etc was stacked at the door ready to go. My purse was missing as was my engagement,eternity and signet ring. The police duly arrived and our hero (Kelpie) rushed out to meet them almost being hit by them as they miconstued his greeting.The police told me I had almost no chance of getting back my precious rings. cry
There was a writeup in the paper about it but no mention of our faithful dog,the hero who saved most of the stuff.
There is however a sequel to this story. We found my purse under the house emptied out ,they didn't even want my dear old watch my family gave me for my 18th birthday birthday.
After we had been gone from the hostel about six months a little parcel arrived in the mail for me. In it was my engagement, my eternity,and my signet rings and a note from a woman who said her husband was involved in the robbery and an apology.So the only thing we really lost was the money that was in my purse.
How grateful I was to the lady , and if she ever reads this post I say a big thankyou as I was devastated at the loss of them.
But we will always remember our dear dog Kelpie who was a hero and who in 1970 died at the age of 15 years and 9 months. Perhaps I'll send a photo so you can all see him.

Len

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That�s amazing Phyl. So glad you got your rings back. Makes you wonder, how someone so kind hearted could end up being involved with a thief but in this case, thank god she was. I hope things have turned out well for her; perhaps she�s moved on or even sorted out their problems.

Most burglaries these days are committed by drug addicts, addicts who are trying to finance the addictions. Designer drugs seem commonplace and can only amount to misery. Perhaps it was the same in the 60's 'year of love and all that'.
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Len,
Have written to you re Kelpie's photo through Outlook Express so you may find it a different address.
Len

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phyl, I've added the photo to your first post and I've also got your new email address.

Smile
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Len and thankyou to all those people who have viewed and read about our wonderful dog Kelpie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fairymeadow (Balgownie) Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: