Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Balgownie/Fairy Meadow Closing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fairymeadow (Balgownie) Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Balgownie/Fairy Meadow Closing Reply with quote

Here is a snippet from Company Tidings that may be of interest.It is from the August 1977 journal. Smile

' Fairy Meadow Closing on September 17

The General Manager , Mr. Barry Hook, announced on July 16, that Fairy Meadow Hostel would cease operations on Saturday ,September 17. It would be placed under caretaker control pending a decision on it future use, he said.
Fairy Meadow formerly Balgownie , was one of the three migrant hostels on the N.S.W. south coast which were taken over from the Migrant Workers' Accommodation Division by the Company when it was formed in 1952. The others ------ Berkeley and Unanderra ----- have long since been closed, but Fairy meadow has never previously had to suspend operations. Last year three attractive new accommodation blocks were completed at the hostel.......'

INteresting I thought and as there seemed to be interest in the opening and closing of Berkeley I post this in the hope others may find it of historical interest.
Smile
Len

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Phyl. I wonder when Unanderra was finally closed.
Phyl you don�t happen to have a hostel layout plan of the site i.e. showing the groups of huts and facilities locations etc?

Smile
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Len , I haven't , I wish I did.
There are a couple of sketches in Company Tidings of the new buildings at East Hills and a bit about Melanka but not the hostels on the coast. I find the most interest is in the history of , photos and funnily enough Hostel Managers. Wonder why that last one ? idunno Smile I only have 11 copies of Company Tidings so when you consider there were so many of them ,they came out monthly , mine are just a drop in the ocean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fairymeadow (Balgownie) Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: