Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heathcote 1960

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Heathcote Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisnic chrisnic has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Heathcote 1960 Reply with quote

I migrated from the UK with my parents in 1960, aged 13. We lived at Heathcote Road Hostel in Sydney for about a year and a half. I attended East Hills Boys High School and remember walking to and from school over the old Georges River footbridge.

47 years on and I'm still a Sydneysider (although currently working full time in Melbourne).

Chris Nicholson
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: to Chris Reply with quote

Hi Chris,
I remember that old foot bridge along the road to East Hills shops. I crossed it many times myself when we were living at Heathcote Road Hostel and East Hills hostel. Had to cross it on foot of course .Hope you share a few memories . Pleased to meet you.
Smile
chrisnic chrisnic has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: The Footbridge Reply with quote

Hi Phyl

Pleased to meet you too. Yes the bridge was a handy link because you could catch the train to the city from East Hills station, which I did quite a few times. I believe it was built by the US Army who were stationed at Heathcote Rd during the war.

The bridge was closed in 2001 due to structural concerns, and if you look at the latest maps (or Google Earth), it has disappeared altogether. Apparently the state and federal governments couldn't agree on sharing the cost of replacing it.

Some memories:
First summer in Australia when the temperature reached 108 degrees on the old Fahrenheit scale (not pleasant in a nissen hut)
Flooding on the East Hills side of the footbridge afther heavy rain
Swimming at the Woronora Dam
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure remember the heat in the nissens Chris.My late husband Tony used to climb up on the top of the roof and put the sprinkler on to try to cool the house down. Didn't do much I must admit but he tried. Also we used to put damp blankets at the front and back door to try to cool the air coming through and keep the curtains drawn. Ah !!!! " those were the days my friend " as the song goes. We even had a scorpion in our house at Heathcote Rd. Hostel in 1954. Not a large one and it curled it's tail but didn't hurt us. We didn't hurt it either Just put it out where it belonged. It was the first Australian creature I had seen and must admit I was more afraid of the blue tongue lizard we had at Villawood later that year,though guess it was the least harmful. Rolling Eyes
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris
Forgot to thank you about the interesting snippet re. the footbridge. Smile
Len

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi chrisnic, welcome to our forums. Sorry it�s taken me such a long time in replying but I seam to have a lot to do these days. Embarassed

smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Heathcote Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: