Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heathcote Hostel 1965

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Heathcote Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McGrime

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Heathcote Hostel 1965 Reply with quote

Hi All, pleasently surprised to find this site.

Arrived at Heathcote Hostel about September 1965 with Mom, Dad and two younger sisters and a younger brother.

I was 10 and Heathote Hostel seemed like another world when we arrived from Clydebank, Scotland.

I think we remained at the hostel for about 6 months but boy did we pack some amazing adventures into that short time.

Williams Creek was a major hang out through that summer, I can still remember catching my first snake on the path down to the creek.

The other hang outs were on top of the watertanks that were a little further to the east of the hostel. I remember the climb seeming so high to get to the top.

Across Heathcote roadwas the Army Range where we used to gather Dum Dum bullets to join together making belts of black bullets like Mexican Cowboys.

The walk up to the canteen each day brings back memories, families following each other up the hill carrying our cutlery, straining to see what was on the board to eat.

Our first experience with the native wild life, Cicadas, Mossies, Snakes, the stray dog that gave us all ringworm.

The fun always outweighed the heat, cramped conditions, the remoteness of the place.

I remember the red dirt area between East Hills and Heathcote Hostels pushing up behind the Naval Camp, we used to call this the "Desert" and many a battle was fought in that dry rocky patch of land.

Dropping rocks off the East Hills footbridge trying to bomb the massive schools of jellyfish that used to float with whatever tide was running.

I will try to get a few pics loaded that you may find interesting.

McGrime
Len

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi McGrime
welcome to our forums and I�ve got to say, that�s a great intro, thanks for taking the time, appreciated.
If you have any more memories or tales to tell then have a go at creating another thread, doesn�t matter what the topics about, just post it in an appropriate forum. If there�s already a topic here that you�d like to add to, then please do.

It would be great if you could share some of your photos with us but you�ll have to send them to me via email because there isn�t an image uploading feature on the forums.
If you can, please send them with a file size of around 150kb as that would give me room to perhaps slightly edit them by adding your name etc to the images, as I have done with Phyl�s etc.

Anyways have fun and hopefully things will get better.

smile
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi McGrime,
Enjoyed your post and hope you send some photos into Len.And thanks I just couldn't remember the name of that creek. But Williams sure rings the bell in my head.
Do post more adventures. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Heathcote Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: