Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fairy meadow hostel 1972

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fairymeadow (Balgownie) Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maureen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: fairy meadow hostel 1972 Reply with quote

HI EVERYONE, WHAT A GREAT SITE. I ARRIVED AT FAIRY MEADOW HOSTEL IN 1972 WHEN I WAS 14 WITH MY MUM, DAD, SISTER AND BROTHER. FROM ENGLAND.WOW WHAT A WAKE UP CALL WHEN WE SAW WHAT WE WOULD BE LIVING IN FOR THE NEXT 9 MONTHS ! HA HA.NISSEN HUTS! WE WERE ALL SHELL SHOCKED BUT EVENTUALLY SETTLED IN AND ACTUALLY ENJOYED OUR TIME THERE.ALTHOUGH WE WERE PUZZLED AS TO WHAT WAS BUZZING AROUND OUR EARS AT NIGHT IN BED.A LOUD PIERCING SOUND THAT SCARED US ALL! WE WERE TOLD LATER ABOUT THE MOZZIES. ALSO THE HUGE CHRISTMAS BEETLES MADE US SCREAM AND RUN.I MADE A LARGE GROUP OF FRIENDS AND WE SAT AT THE BACK OF THE CANTEEN AND THREW THE LITTLE PATS OF BUTTER UP ONTO THE CEILING[ SORRY].AFETR GETTING OVER MY HOMESICKNESS I QUITE ENJOYED THE SOCIAL ASPECT OF IT. WE WOULD ALL MEET AT THE 'REC' ROOM UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF SKIP AND ENJOY THE PINNIES, PLAYING POOL ETC.THE CHOCOLATE SPREAD BUTTIES FOR SCHOOL HAD US ALL PUZZLED, THEY GOT CHUCKED!!! PEANUT BUTTER WAS THE GO.WE ALSO USED TO MEET AT THE LITTLE CAFE IN ELLIOTS ROAD, WAS IT ELLIOTS?, IM NOT SURE.I WENT TO SMITHS HILL GIRLS SCHOOL FOR NINE MONTHS WHICH WAS OK.BUT WE USED TO WAG AND STAY IN SOMEONES HUT IF THE PARENTS WERE WORKING, HA HA . SURELY SOMEONE MUST HAVE SEEN US! MY SISTER AND I WENT TO THE LOO AT FAIRY MEADOW STATION AND RAN OUT QUICK BECAUSE OF THE DUNNY CAN, WOULDNT USE IT! ANYWAY LEFT TO GO TO S.A. AFTER 9 MONTHS BUT EVENTUALLY WENT BACK TO FAIRYMEADOW TO LIVE. NOW IM A COUNTRY GIRL ON THE MID NORTH COAST OF N.S.W. HOPE I HAVENT BORED ANYONE WITH MY MEMORIES. CHEERS MAUREEN.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maureen
I really enjoyed your memories . Not at all boring. Hope you have more to tell us. Very Happy
Len

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maureen and welcome to our forums. Had to laugh about the throwing of the butter pats up at the ceiling. lol�.. You never know �now you�ve owned up� you might now get the cleaning bill. grins

I�m not to familiar with Fairymedow hostel and it's facilities even though we had visited the hostel on several occasions due to soccer matches and unknown organized events etc and that was around 1968-70 ish as our family stayed at Unanderra Hostel which wasn�t to far away.
You never know Maureen, some of your old mates may stumble across this post and �with a bit of luck� reintroduce themselves to you and reflect on the good times.

Anyways, now you�ve registered with us you can �at any time and quite freely� create any topic you like and if you see anything you�d like to comment on, then please do. As yet we haven�t got too many members so things can be a little quiet at times but I have to say, I�ve had some great support from Phyl and Roy as you�ll see.

All I can say now is enjoy and have fun.

smile
Keith

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maureen.
I arrived in July 1972 having just turned 14, with my sisters Kay (16) and Lesley (11).
Kay and I re-united with Sue (14 at the time, went to Smith Hills) last night and we found ourselves talking about the same good times that you touched on in your post. We went searching the net and here you are.
Kay was pretty sure you were from Liverpool - is this correct?
Anyway hope this still finds its way to you.
Cheers,
Keith
zoorock72

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: fairy meadow 1972 Reply with quote

WOW this is great I was also at fairy meadow hostel in 1972 came with mum and dad and my brother and sister and remember the rec room and skip, and eating in the cafeteria and all the different people and cultures, and getting your lunch for school, and getting on the red rattler to school and I went to smiths hill girls high school as well, I loved my time there, only 6 months but what a blast Smile so glad i found this place
Fran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: I was in Fairymeadow Hostel 1972 Reply with quote

WOW!!! this is really great I was also at fairy meadow hostel in 1972 I came with mum and dad and my 4 brothers and remember, eating in the cafeteria and all the different people and all the cultures. Getting your lunch for school, and getting on that bus or the rattler to school and I went to smiths hill girls high school, I did not like it to much but we were only there for a couple of months I am so happy I found this place. Hopefully I can catch up with someone I met if I can remember that's is Very Happy

Frances Kane
tina zepka

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: fairy meadow Reply with quote

Hi I also arrived at Fairy Meadow Hostel in April 1972 with Mum, Dad and 2 Sisters I was 9 at the time and had my 10th Birthday when we moved into 1 of the Brick Units, I also went to Towradgi Primary school. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fairymeadow (Balgownie) Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: