Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hostels as heritage sites?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived on Altona Hostel, previously named Williamstown and later known as Wiltona. I arrived there in June 1963 and left in September 1965. We weren't so fortunate as to live next to pristine beaches and forests. We were stuck amidst several oil refineries with only a couple of small businesses along the road. We were approximately mid way between Altona and Williamstown, both beachside suburbs, and we could walk through the scrub to a beach about a mile from the back of the hostel. To do this we had to go over a fairly rickety bridge which had had no maintenance done to it since it was built I don't think. We didn't have nissen huts, except one which was the recreation hall. Everything else was I think cement sheeting. These buildings were removed and brick veneer buildings replaced them some time after I left, and then the hostel was closed and those building are now used by various businesses so are still there. Springvale hostel, later renamed Enterprise also had the new units, but later was totally bulldozed and the hostel site is now a retirement village I think, but with no trace of any hostel building. Brooklyn hostel has also totally disappeared, as has the school out the front of it and the slaughter yards next door.

We also had a recreation officer named skip, in our case Mills, and he got us exercising and dancing a couple of times a week.
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: East Hills Hostel Reply with quote

Re this subject, I have posted elswhere on this site some new information made available via the National Archives of Australia. East Hills hostel was not an old Army Barracks. It was a manouvre area of the army for sure, but now available documents clearly show that East Hills was built expressley for the use of British Migrants. It was first proposed in 1949. There are documents clearly showing corresopondence of purchase of the land, surveyors information and also diagrams of construction of the mess halls. The army was only billeted here after the late 1990's. Anyone requiring help on this matter is welcome to pm me.
Henriej35

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Preserving Hostel sites Reply with quote

Hi I am new to this site but really fdo believe that any sites still remaining should be heritage listed as they are truley a major part in Australia's history and should be preserved for the future generations of children to see and maybe get some understanding of how the migrant were housed and lived in their first few years in Australia.
I have been back to Scheyville recently and was pleased to see that the national parks are trying to restore some of the buildings. Lets hope they keep up the good work. After all it is our history!
JoopMul JoopMul has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the www was still quite new, I drove quite a few visitors from the Netherlands, along the Eastern Suburbs Beaches, on what I quickly started calling my "nostalgia tour", showing them where we'd lived in those early years, ( 1956+).
There wasn't much to show, in Pozieres Ave, Matraville, or soon, even on Bunnerong Road. I would just TELL them about the more "luxurious" hostel I'd only visited in Coogee.
By coincidence, I HAD planned to visit Bonegilla, yesterday, on the way to the official opening of the Dutch Australian Heritage Centre building, but couldn't go.
So pleased that Bonegilla and Scheyville still have enough to show my children and future possible grandchildren!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: