Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DIY Hostel Furniture:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Len

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: DIY Hostel Furniture: Reply with quote

As most know, the hostels accommodations were quite basic as they were only meant to be for short time stays. There were items such as; Bed-settee, single beds, wardrobe, table and chairs. I�m not to sure what else was standard but I�m sure someone maybe able to help?

I think for some residents, especially those that intended staying a while (Two years), rather than go out and buy new extra furnishings for their huts, they improvised by fashioning there own temporary furniture.

I remember my father had fashioned a small kitchen utensils cupboard out of two or three surplus wooden fruit boxes from the canteen. They were fastened end to end and stood upright. He attached several screw-in hooks in the top section as they were used for hanging cups etc. The rest of the cavities were used for storage, Coffee, Tea, cleaning products etc and not to mention, the essential Mortain. Mr. Green
The cupboard probably didn�t look very attractive but it did its job. Mr. Green

Did your family DIY any furniture for the hut, if so, what was it and how?

Smile
madoc1946

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: to olwen Reply with quote

Hello olwen do you remember me my mums name was joan waring ,my name is carol my sister and brother in law whereeric and pat roberts altona hostel we lived with pat and eric roberts in the nissen hut next to the bridge over the creek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: