Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maribyrnong/ 'Midway' hostel, Melbourne
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pamie Pamie has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Maribyrnong/ 'Midway' hostel, Melbourne Reply with quote

Hi

My name's Pamie Fung and I'm a postgrad student. I've been very interested in the migrant hostels for about 2 years now. It all started with a visit to the Maribyrnong Detention Centre in Melbourne. From there I couldn't help but notice that there were a lot of odd looking buildings next door. So one day I went around to the student accommodation site next door and found a Nissen hut and all these other traces from the time when the place was a migrant hostel.

From there on, I've been talking to people who stayed at the hostel when it was 'Maribyrnong' and later - after the '60s when it became 'Midway' hostel. I've also been really interested in the company - Commonwealth Hostels Limited and the many migrant staff members of CHL. So I think it's great that this website exists, and would be more than happy if you'd like to have a chat with me about Maribyrnong hostel or living at a migrant hostel in general or even the company. Thanks (this has become a very long introduction!). I'll have a good browse through this great website as well!

Pamie
Len

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Pamie, it�s great to have you here. The more people that join-up with us then the much better chances we have of having our questions answered.

I myself am not familiar with midway hostel but out of interest, When you visited the student accommodations site were there only the one nissen hut still standing or were there others? I don�t know if you live locally to midway but if you do � then, how are you with a camera? Mr. Green
I know I'm being a bit cheeky but this request goes out to anyone whom may live in the vicinity of the old hostel site. It would be great and truly appreciated 'by many' if we could have a picture of the site today.

Smile
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pamie
I too would love a photo of the old Maribrynong hostel especially if any of the manager's houses remain. There were three together ,two with managers ,we were one of those and one with the dietition and family. As I was quite heavily pregnant with twins when we were there, I didn't see much of the hostel and only knew a few of the staff and the manage ment. We were only there a short while,having been transferred from Nunawading and then were transferred on to Preston Hostel but always remember having to catch the Moonee Ponds bus. It is a long time ago though, 1955. Rolling Eyes
Great to see you on the forum. Very Happy
kim kim has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Maribyrnong Hostel Reply with quote

Unfortunately since you were there Phyl, I think quite a bit had changed. Phillip Hostel was built on to the back of Midway (Maribyrnong Hostel). The baked bean cans were slowly coming down and newer buildings were being put up. I think the bachelor flats, were being taken down quite early. (Two of my brothers had to use one of them as the house was too small for such a large family). There are two houses that were used by managers. One of which that had been a baked bean can and then turned into a brick house sometime in the sixties. The other house is a weatherboard on Hampstead Road itself. It now looks rather weathered. I will try and get some pictures if people would like, though I don't know if I can find any of the old hostel but will try.
Kind Regards
Kim Smile
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kim,
Yes I knew they had rebuilt the place .Would love a photo of that old weather beaten house It might bring back memories though where our house was ,was on the roadside there were three of them. The manager was in one ,we were in one and the dietition was in the other. The manager's wife was called Pat but can't think of her husband's name.Old age has crept on Embarassed Sad Any photos you put on the forum would be great to see.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Old Weatherboard house Reply with quote

Hi Len, Kim and Phyl,

Thanks for the kind messages on Maribyrnong/ Midway! Sorry about the late reply, I've been out of Melbourne recently. I do have a few photos of a weatherboard house that is situated along Hampstead Road on the site of the hostel (that is still there). I'll post them on the website tonight and see whether it is the one you've been referring to. Phyl, you mention that you stayed in one of the manager's houses for a short period of time, were you working there at the time and perhaps what was your role...? Also Kim - you or your brothers stayed at the hostel, were you part of the staff or migrants at the place (or both?). I'd be really interested to find out more about what you both remember of the Midway/ Phillip hostels.

thanks and regards
Pamie
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pamie,
My husband was one of the manager's at Maribyrnong Hostel. We were with the Company for 18 and a half years and Maribrynong was between Nunawading and Preston Hostels.
I was pregnant with twins,my father had just died in NZ, and my father in law (also a manager with CHL ) had a big op. So guess I was more focused on those things at that time .I think we were there about 3 months and I remember the Manager's wife next door and the Moonee Pond bus, Funny some of the things you remember.And those three houses ,but can't remember what they looked like. And the dietition and her husband. So with those memories only I don't think I ventured to the actual hostel area. Sad
We returned to NSW in Oct. 1956 as my father in law was very ill He died the month following our return . He was the manager of Colmslie in Brisbane when he first became ill and had his op. but his life in hostels is another story.THe Olympic games were held in Melbourne that year and my husband was offered the job of Catering Manager (through CHL) for the games but he refused as it was, for us ,more important to return to Sydney at that time. cry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Weatherboard houses and Phillip? Reply with quote

Hi Phyl,

Thanks so much for your email, I noticed in my research that a number of staff including managers at CHL were also migrants - is that also the case for you and your husband?

I'm also posting a couple of photos for you and Kim. I have a photo of timber houses on Hampstead Road - it's not a great photo (sorry Phyl), but maybe these are the ones you remember? I've also attached some photos for Kim as well of 'Phillip' hostel as it is today and the inside of Phillip. (oops you will both get to view these once I find out how to insert the images!)

Thanks and regards
Pamie

Len

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pamie.
I�ve sent you an email about your photos.
If you pass them on to me then I�ll insert them into your posts.
I�d also love to see them.

Smile
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pamie,
We were not migrants as such .We came to CHL from NZ as Tony's father who was an Australian worked for CHL. Tony hadn't seen his Dad since he was three years old as his parents had gone their separate ways.
I was not keen to leave NZ so Tony said we would only stay for 2 years ha ha Laughing We stayed 18 and a half years then returned to NZ. All that time Tony was on the Managerial staff of CHL.He had to do a managerial course in the beginning but the beginning of my life in Hostels is under Heathcote Rd. Hostel, ' My Introduction to Australia'
Mind you I am glad I had the time in Australia and my dearest friends in Australia are still close friends despite being back in NZ 35 years.I found it hard to settle in NZ for the first year or two.
Be great to see the photos. Smile Thankyou.
kim kim has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Maribrynong Hostel Reply with quote

Hi Pamie,
I lived in the old weatherboard house when I was about five or six for a year and then again for about a year when I was fourteen. My father was a manager on the hostel, then became a field officer around 1971 to 1973. I remember walking through the quarry to get to school where Highpoint Shopping Centre now stands. I also remember the quarry at the back of Midway Hostel before Phillip Hostel was built and the old army houses that were there. We often used to jump the fence and try and have a look round there but were often chased by some fiercesome looking dogs. Also remember a man who used to live and take care of his horses at the back of the hostel, we visited him quite alot. I have many memories of Maribyrnong Hostel. I remember other staff the Nolans, the Goulds, Uri Ratas. etc
Regards
Kim Smile
Len

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just to let everyone know, that I�ve inserted Pamie�s photos into her above post.
Many thanks Pamie they are great.

Very Happy
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Len,Pamie and Kim,
I love the photos, though not sure about the house. I do have some photos in some of the Company Tidings I have of Phillip some a year fter opening and the name stone on the corner of Hampstead Road.
Thanks len for posting them and thanks Pamie for sending them in.
I also remember the names of the manager's and field officers you mention there Kim. I remember it being so hot there in the summer and Tony hosed me down (clothes and all) Rolling Eyes ,outside and I was dry in 20 minutes and I remember our cat used to chase the cat next door from our back yard. Laughing . Silly little things to remember I guess but they stuck in my mind so am sure we had a fence.Confusion reigns. Confused
kim kim has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Photo's Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Thank you to Pamie for the photos and thanks Len for putting them up there. I remember the weatherboard house very well. Phillip Hostel picture brings back lots of good memories too. I know what you mean about the heat Phyl, I remember my father hanging the old grey blankets off the kitchen window to stop the midday sun coming in and the large cracks in the ground where the sun drew every bit of moisture out. Smile Laughing
eldeak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: I was a junior migrant at Midway Reply with quote

Hi Pamie

I was 6 when my family and I stayed at the Midway Migrant Hostel in 1983. We came from Hungary in 1982, spending 11 months in Austria being processed. We lived in one of those grey buildings (Red 44 was our address I think) and I was sent to the Child Language Centre on site while my parents went to English classes on site also. My younger sister went to a nearby kindergarten. Not sure which one.

I have lots of memories from this time. But they're memories of a 6-year-old . I can put you in touch with my parents if you'd like a more grownup perspective from the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: