Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thomas Henneberry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
janetmh71

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Thomas Henneberry Reply with quote

My grandfather named above emigrated to australia and later onto new zealand in the 1950's.

Tragically since died (never got to meet him) I have started doing research which can be very difficult at times.

He travelled from southampton to melbourne on the Largs Bay in August 1956 and know he came back on the Willem Ruys in March 1960.

Found this forum totally by accident and hopefully may be able to find out more about what this experience was like for him by reading around.

Janet
Len

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Janet, welcome to our forums. wave

Good luck with your search and I hope we can help here.

Smile
cindy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Janet.
My Dad (3 years old) and his parents and brother (8 years old) came from Yorkshire to Aussie in 1950 then from there to New Zealand approx 2-3 years later and never left. I never got to meet my grandparents either. It was only by chance that my Dad saw a programme on tv and it jogged his memory of what the ship's name was - SS Ranchi. I stumble onto this web site as well trying to search more about my families history. I went onto the National Achives of australia www.naa.qov.au. Found my grandparents arrival etc. Just asking a member of migrant web to tell me what is the best way to get all the info. So once i get all that i could tell you what is in the file etc. may help you on your research.
Cindy
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Largs Bay Reply with quote

Welcome Janet. Im sure you will find much help and guidance here. Re the Largs Bay, Im not sure what you know of her, but I can quote a couple of pieces of information from "And the crew went too, by Geof Lunn.
Largs Bay, 14,362 gross tons, built 1921, by WM beardmore and Co, Glasgow. 168.3m long. Geared turbines, two screws, 15 knots.One of five sister ships for the Oz Govt for emmigrant trade. Accomodating 723 one class passengers. Sod to Britain in 1928, but continued emmigrant service. The group of sister ships were known as "The Bays". After the war, Largs was refurbished and capacity amended to 514 once class passengers. During the war she and her sisters were armed merchant crusiers. She was scrapped at Barrow, England by TW Ward in 1957. I have a photo of her if you want, but Im sure there are plenty on the web. Regards, Richard.
janetmh71

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard and Cindy thanks so much for your replies.

Richard I have read up on the largs bay and have looked at pictures online one thing I cant seem to find (as of yet) is how long the voyage would have taken.

Cindy thanks for your offer of help. Any help or information is really appreciated.

Janet x
cindy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Janet. I got national achive of australia info about my grandparents arrival into australia. It was interesting as it told me what my grandfather was going to do in aussie as a job and what his previous jobs were. His parents address at the time, and health problems. I was expecting more than 7 pages as others on the achives can have about 25 pages. Still happy with what i got as i have more leads to trace for family tree. Hope this helps in tracing your family tree.
Cindy
janetmh71

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cindy

Am going to give it a go and see what I get. Dont know how much time he spent in Australia as he came back from New Zealand 4 years after arrival in Australia.

If only things were simple

Janet x
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me Linda family history is never simple,I've been doing it for years.
All the best. Rolling Eyes
barkly barkly has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came out on the SS Largs Bay departing Southampton on 30 November 1951 arriving Fremantle on 1 Januray 1952 - and then melbourne I think about 6 January 1952 after a couple of days in the West.

I have all of the celebatory menus from the trip including the Kids and adults Christmas Dinner - the Dinner Adieu on 31 December 1951 and our travel docs and ticket.

Cheers
janetmh71

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Barkly would be lovely to know about food and things like that.

Any chance you could give us an idea on the food that was on the menu?

Janet x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: