Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Research for Documentary
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
felicityh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Research for Documentary Reply with quote

Hi there,

As I have stated in another thread I am currently working on a documentary series about immigration. As part of my research I am looking at the migrant hostel experience. Does anybody know if there is a complete list of hostels anywhere?

Also I would love to talk to anybody who knows the hostel system well and can help me identify the different types of hostels that were used. For example I understand the Migrant training and reception centres were only for non-British Migrants. Is this correct? And how were these centres differentiated from the other hostels?

My contact details are 02 9202 8985 or [email protected]

I would be very grateful for ANY help,

Felicity
Len

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Felicity.
Have you tried looking at the National Archives of Australia? There is a page there which lists most/ all of the NSW hostels.

National Archives of Australia

Smile
JoopMul JoopMul has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a somewhat vague, personal, observation:
My parents and I spent time in the hostel, in Pozieres Ave, Matraville (Late 56, early 1957.) Two ex-army barracks, divided into little rooms.
About a kilometre away was the hostel for British migrants and during those early days, coping with conditions that we had not expected, we were very much aware that the hostel for the British, also, no doubt ex-army, was laid out among little lawns of green grass (Cannot remember. Might have even had flowers.) and the residents lived in little cabins, in neat rows.
Ironically, we (my parents and our friends) bought an old house, together, in Flint Street, Matraville, opposite the entrance to the British hostel, in Bunnerong Road.
(We definitely saw us as being treated differently to the British and, naturally believed they should not complain because of their privileges, however minor. )
kim kim has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: The old days Reply with quote

I lived in hostels and I can honestly say I never saw any preferential treatment given to English people. I think everyone who came to Australia were a little overwhelmed and perhaps thought they were getting a little less than their neighbours. Perhaps there was a little confusion due to language barriers but was quickly sorted out. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should just let your response go through to the keeper, Kim.

But I did live in the hostel in Pozieres Ave, Matraville, in 1956 and then in Flint Street, Matraville, opposite the Bunnerong Hostel, for the next few years.

My mother and the friend from the family with whom we migrated worked in the dining room and kitchen, of that hostel, for the non-British, in Pozieres Ave. (My father worked briefly in the hostel in Villawood.)

I was 12 years old when we arrived and turned 13, in Matraville. Old enough to understand that, in Pozieres Ave, we lived in the non-British hostel, while Bunnerong was for British immigrants.

This wasn't only a perception. This was the way it was. It's such a pity there isn't more documentation ( readily!!! ) available to refer to.

I am grateful that my parents migrated. I now find Gouda (particularly the historic centre) still a lovely place to visit but am so grateful that I spent my teenage years in the Maroubra area.

Having moved through Bonegilla, Scheyville, Villawood and Matraville Hostels, from May 1956, onwards, I did get a fair impression of the conditions in those hostels.

I do not remember any British immigrants being there, at the time.

I have always believed that they were accommodated in separate hostels and suspected that this was related to the fact that, during the "Populate or Perish" times, the Australian electorate was promised that immigration would be encouraged from Great Britain and, when that proved to be not completely possible, migration from northern Europe was first encouraged.

As my experience is only of living in those four hostels and so close to Bunnerong Hostel, perhaps you DID live in hostels where all were accommodated - British and non-British together.

We simply had different experiences.

P.S.

Meanwhile, a Stephen Thompson, is proving me wrong:

"The British made up the main population at Villawood in the 1950s and 1960s. The flag was hung in the Nissan Hut dining hall at the Westbridge Migrant Hostel in the 1950s and 1960s. It was hung with an Australian flag and they flanked a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II."

Written by Stephen Thompson from documentation on PHM EMu collection information system. June 2007

http://www.migrationheritage.nsw.gov.au/exhibition/objectsthroughtime/flag/

http://www.migrationheritage.nsw.gov.au/exhibition/objectsthroughtime/bassinette/

Oh well! Water under the bridge........I guess.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joop,
In the early days 1956 ,there were certainly people from Holland in English migrant camps and when we were in Villawood 1971-1973 my son had six friends all from different countries,those are still friends to this day.
Bonegilla was a "holding centre" and nothing to do with CHL though the folk from there came into CHL.I think Skyville was the same.There were some hostels,Matraville being one, that were wholly European or non British.
Many of the staff on all hostels were from European and we made dear friends amongst the European folk.I remember one chap at Dundas who was finally pardoned and was able to return to his own country.He had done nothing wrong only his loyalties were not acceptable.
It was sadly the way it sometimes was as many Europeans were displaced people escaping from their own country.Am still friendly with one of those people. Some also were very well degreed but had to go through more training in Australia to practice their profession and some sadly didn't practice again because they didn't want to retrain,or had reasons of their own for not going back into their own profession...
We were living at Matraville 1959-60 and we had much respect for the people and they for us. And we lived in that big building too.
In the early days ,pre 1954, things were tough and my father in law ,also a manager with CHL. was attacked and lost an eye .not sure what country the attacker was from.
And I must say non British migrants were always courteous to me and my family. which sadly was not always the case with others. cry Mostly the British were also courteous. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Phyl.

Am rushing off, just now to the Dutch Shop, in Smithfield, where we have our Dutch Australian Cultural Centre located. Am taking my piano accordion. It fills the day and the shop owners like having me play - back there, behind the furniture section.

53 years later, I've certainly returned a lot to my roots!!

Joop
chrisnic chrisnic has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Looking back, I think it's fair to say that the immigration policy at the time was biased towards those of British origin. The very fact that (as far as I know) the 10 pound scheme was only for British migrants sends that message. Whether that translated through to conditions in the hostels I can't say. However, if I'm not mistaken there were riots at Bonegilla over hostel conditions at the time.

I've often pondered the irony that it's we British who are responsible for the "whingeing pom" image, considering that language and cultural difficulties must have made things so much tougher for other nationalities. They just seem to have put their heads down and made the best of things.

Joop
I think there were British migrants at Villawood. Smithfield is just down the road from there. I guess you find the area much changed since the hostel days.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment, my father (92) is back in hospital again but normally, he now resides in the Abel Tasman Retirement Village, in Chester Hill.
So, when I need to either take my turn in the ( temporary ) Dutch Australian Cultural Centre, on Sundays or Wednesdays, behind the Dutch shop, in Smithfield, or attend our monthly meetings there, I drop in on him and then the road between Abel Tasman Village and Holland House, takes me right past the site of Villawood Hostel - always reminding me of walking on part of it (Christina Road) to that fruit market, over the railway bridge on Woodville Road.
GinaKate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always thought that everyone came to Australia for ten pounds, I had no idea that it was just the British.
During my stay at Dundas we had two families from Germany, one from America, one from Belgium and a family from Armenia.
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,
I am wondering how displaced Europeans many of whom had to escape from their countries managed financially.They worked in Australia of course.Maybe they came in on a separate scheme. Many had to run for their lives and had no contact with families left behind.AS I said previously Bonegilla was not Commonwealth Hostels Ltd.I really don't remember Europeans complaining.And I was in Hostels for 18 and a half years.I remember at Preston the British residents storming the office and breaking down the door. and at Berkeley putting their foot in the door of our place and saying "What's this b****y muck" So had some scary times but enough said about that. I like to remember the good times and not dwell on the not so good.
During the war years I remember we used to send food packages to England from NZ and we were rationed too. My grandfather etc lived there.
My father was English and was on his way home from NZ to go to Uni. when he became ill , met my mother and rest is history. Cool

GinaKate I remember that American family. Funny I don't remember
eating in the Dundas dining room though I did at East Hills and Cabramatta. But I may have been in the dining room as my Kids often wanted to eat with their friends. Some of the staff names were,(first names only) John,Steve,Adam,Big George, Helga,Danny,Joseph,maybe you remember some of them. Very Happy
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joop ,
I am sorry your Dad is in hospital and wish him well. I hope he is better soon and back in his own home.
kim kim has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject: researching Reply with quote

Hi Joop,

Sorry to hear about your father. Hope you are keeping well in this difficult time.

Kim
GinaKate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Phyl, I remember Helga, and Danny was the man who's name I couldn't remember until you just handed it to me. He was the one who always came to talk to us after he had finished his work. I remember an older lady named Frances but the rest we didn't know by first names, it was always Mr. or Mrs.
I did have photos of us all at the docks waving off the American family when they returned home, for the life of me I can't find them now. I expect they will turn up when I'm not looking for them.
That's a shame that you were caught up with an angry mob too, I daresay you are over it now, although it must have taken quite some time, but still it must tarnish your memories somewhat. No matter how bad the conditions are I don't think that there is ever any excuse for frightening a family.
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GinaKate can you remember Helga's husband's name. For the life of me I can't remember it. He also was on the staff.
Neville Pitt was the youth leader until he was promoted to the one in charge of all youth activities and maybe after that Pelley was the youth leader..
Thankyou for caring about me. We had to stay in our house in Preston on that awful day , but the one who came to our door only talked to me and my little son. At Berkeley also someone tried to burn down the manager's houses they set one on fire at the back but it was put out before to much damage was done and didn't start the second one as the petrol soaked material was found. No-one tried to do it to our house.
Maybe some didn't like the food but it was nutritious and well thought out.Some foods were not eaten by by the British people eg.pumpkin and swede they thought was just for pigs.Whereas it was normal in this neck of the woods.
Mind you some things I didn't like myself namely tapioca and sago and I am a vegetarian so didn't like meat.
There were many migrants came to Australia after the war and they had to be housed quickly and Australia was a young country and didn't really have the resources.As time went by they replaced many of the nissens with brick flats. I lived in many nissens myself and also in one new house too. or older houses like at Dundas.
Funnily enough there were residents who stayed on the hostels for 5 years or so until a one year policy came in and Housing officers were employed to help folk find houses .
The experience though is unforgetable and took up my young years of marriage and bringing up children.
Many British though were lovely to me.
My kids because we were transferred around went to many schools ,my eldest to 11 and the twins to 9 so they didn't really get a chance to settle.
Ah the memories.
Better stop though do you remember the wee joey I brought up?
Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: