Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Val. Nunawading 1956

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
valgc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Val. Nunawading 1956 Reply with quote

Hi Members, I migrated from the UK in 1956, we were located to Nunawading Hostel we stayed for about 18mths.....any others from the Nunawading hostel here?..cheers val
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Val,
We were at Nunawading in 1955 so a little before your time . Did you go to tha school next to the hostel. My eldest son would watch the children playing and always wanted to go and play too ,but,alas,he was too young.
Nice to read your post. Smile.

Len

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Val
Welcome to our forums. Hope you find it a usefull place.

wave

Smile
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Len ,
Many thanks for including Murray in your Forum. I guess he depicts in that photo the way I felt in the first few years in CHL. I found it so very lonely. Probably because I had little babies (at Preston) and a toddler who kept me busy Rolling Eyes .The manager's wives at Maribyrnong and Preston were friendly but I didn't see them often.though my mother and brother stayed with us for 6 months at Preston.My mother was very outgoing. It wasn't till I went to Cabramatta in NSW in 1956 ,from Preston, that life was less lonely. That was thanks to the staff and some of the residents and children there. I think I mentioned in Cabramatta forum about my time there. Smile You know I can't even remember who the Manager at Nunawading was Embarassed . Funny as little as MUrray was he remembers trains in the area. Smile
valgc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phyl
Thank you for your reply, I didnt atend school on the hostel as I was to young,I think my older brother may have as he was already attending school before we left the UK.I dont have a lot of memories of the hostel although as late as the 1980"s i went to the shop that was still there and affectionately called the "tinny shop"...we left the hostel when dad was employed by the SEC and we spent the next 10 years freeezing at Newborough before relocating to the sunny Gold Coast in 1967, we still have close contact with friends made at the hostel, hope to hear from more that were at nunawading in that era
cheers val
mdmnk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: hello (Nunawading) Reply with quote

[quote="valgc"]Hi Members, I migrated from the UK in 1956, we were located to Nunawading Hostel we stayed for about 18mths.....any others from the Nunawading hostel here?..cheers val[/quote]
My parents emigrated to Australia in 1956. We stayed on the hostel for around a year and a half. I went to school on the hostel then on to Forest Hills Primary. Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: