Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Ship?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Selina Blackburn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: which ship? Reply with quote

I travelled with my family out from Uk on the MV Aurelia in January 1964, leaving ship at Melbourne and ending up in Geelong, at Norlane Migrant Hostel.

We returned to UK in January 1969, sailing on the MV Achille Lauro, via Cape Town. I have very happy memories of this 'holiday'. Sadly for the ship, it came to a very sticky end.
irene_61

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: SS Orentes Reply with quote

We had the best time but a couple of the most memorable would be
1. crossing the equator the crew got all the kids and covered them in ice cream and then dunked them in the pool and we all got certificates I still have mine somewhere
2. Having stopped in Aden or Port Said (senior moment) where many of the local children clambered on board and went for a swim nearly all the kids in particular ended up with impetigo (school sores) and everyone used to come to breakfast with a new dose of purple as it was treated with gentians violet in fact some of us had it so long when we finally arrived in australia we Still had sores.

I also remember the bags being hung over the ship and goods passed up to be bartered for i am sure my mum ended up buying us a camel. I know it wouldnt get through customs these days Smile
slavica

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We came on the "Roma" from Naples. It was her last voyage and only about 30 immigrant families and a handful of single men. Women and children had a cabin and married men were below deck on bunks with all the single guys.

My dad spent the entire voyage in our cabin. We shared two bunks between the four of us and we had a bathroom (sink and toilet). The main bathroom was across the hall and I spent a lot of time in the bath. The water was yellow but I loved it.

We ate our meals in the main dinning room. Our table was next to the captain's table and every meal was a celebration. Our first port in Australia was Fremantle and we disembarked in Melbourne from where we were taken on a bus to Bonegilla.
JoopMul JoopMul has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Johan van Oldenbarnevelt, left Amsterdam 11 april, 1956.
I became a bit sea-sick in the Gulf of Biscaye, as expected.

We stopped off in Port Said.
Going through Suez Canal, was pleasant. The next trip, the J.v.O., had to go the long way around.

I spent almost all the time sitting at the railing, feeling slightly off and trying to hold the ship up, with my feet.
Going down the stairs, into the dining room was the worst part of the day. The smell of the food affected me.
At age 12, I was JUST too old to be allowed in the creche. I tried borrowing books from the library.
I think one of them was a bit naughty.
Brian Murray

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: which ship? Reply with quote

came on the SS Oriana.....a great ship, great crew, it was probably the best holiday i ever had. came via canary islands and south africa. remember coming across the equator and all the festivities. my back got horribly burnt..1 huge blister. to be expected as i was from the north of scotland...never seen the sun much before LOL. didn't know it could do that to you:-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one, Brian. I guess you were older than I was? I usually remember things quite well but somehow I cannot recall the equator ceremony. It must have been low-key, if it WAS held, on the J.v.O..
Brian Murray

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: equator ceremony Reply with quote

joop, i was 11 yo in 1970. i seemed to remember the crossing the equator being a big deal on our ship. lotsa fun things happening, some dude dressed up as king neptune etc.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Brian.
Yes. I suspect that I stayed out of the way. That's me. Usually start off by standing at the back somewhere, whatever the situation and gradually getting more involved and then ending up on the committee, or at least running whatever it is.
I was simply slightly nauseous, all five weeks, along with being slightly afraid that the ship would tip over (Except in the Suez Canal.)
After we arrived, in 1956, there was about a decade or so of frequent trips to the harbour to farewell friends of the family or to welcome them. My mother took a trip back, on the FairStar and of course took photos of the King Neptune thing.
Farewelling her and some others, I would start to feel nauseous, as soon as I stepped on the gangplank. :)
From the late 60s, thank goodness, it became trips to the airport. :)
I am tempted to attach a picture here, of my parents and the van Hoorns, holding up a piece of cardboard, with GOUDA on it.
Waving it at the Blom family, who arrived in Port Phillip Bay. We had driven to Melbourne, in the two vws to welcome them!!!
My father used to get SO EXCITED whenever we were welcoming people to Australia. He would pace up and down and rub his hands a lo, when he was so pleased. :)
David

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject: Australis Reply with quote

Came out on the Australis in 67, i was only 6 but still have some memories, was christened on board, went to the fancy dress as a Devil with crepe paper tail, had a lot of fun exploring

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello David. I was married at Oatlands. (Since divorced but good friends.)

Jo
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David ,
Welcome. My children went to Oatlands school too while we were at Dundas.You may have been there when my late husband was Manager in Charge there.
Fergie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Migrtant Ships - Largs Bay Reply with quote

Barkley ...
Largs Bay 1921. 1928 purchased by White Star Line from Australian Commonwealth Line, 1933 transferred to Aberdeen & Commonwealth Line, 1957 scrapped. 13,853 Moreton Bay 1921 1928 purchased by White Star Line from Australian Commonwealth Line, 1933 transferred to Aberdeen & Commonwealth Line, 1957 scrapped 13,855

My mother came to Australia on the Largs Bay in the 1920's.
Fergie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Th new multi million ARCADIA was shown on TV entering Sydney Harbour yesterday.
Some 1960's Ten Pound Poms were invited on board.
The ship would dwarf the original Arcadia which brought so many migrants to Australia.
Rosie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Val,

My family immagrated to Australia on the Strathaird in 1957 and we lived at the Colmslie Hostel in Brisbane - this was a very long time ago., my maiden name is Penkeyman and we originated from Liverpool.
Linda1952

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: What Ship Reply with quote

Jsloan wrote:
Hi All,

We arrived in Aus in 1961 on the Fairskye.

Regards John

Hi we arrived in Australia on the ship the Fairsky in 1958.
linda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: