Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Ship?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rosie,
We were at Colmslie late 1957 - 1958. Tony was assistant manager.
Do you remember Mr. Flood the manager and do you remember their two cocker spaniel dogs? Bounce and can't remember the other ones name.I remember lots of people there. Smile
Olly Olly has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family came out on the Fairsky stopping at Aden, Port Said and Perth on the way. We arrived Boxing Day 1965. I remember thinking the ship was huge, but being a typical kid who explored everything - I knew every nook and cranny of the boat within 2 days.

I distinctly remember all the paper roll ribbons being thrown and caught between family on the wharf and family on the ship and them stretching out until they snapped as the ship sailed away. I also remember the song The Carnival Is Over by The Seekers playing over the loud speakers and it brings a tear to my eye every time I hear it as it conjours up this sad memory.

Sniff Sniff
Olly
GinaKate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Olly, We did that same journey on the Fairsky a year earlier, we left Southampton on Boxing Day 1964 arriving 28th January 1965. I still have some of the fliers, printed on pale green paper and looking a bit ratty now after 44 years, but still readable - The story of the Panama Canal and Aden. We did the overland trip, disembarking at Port Said and travelling by bus to Aden. All very overwhelming at the time. And I still have the menu for the Farewell Dinner.
And my one and only souvenier, three little brass pyramids, the Egyptian wanted ten shillings for them and I only had seven and six, after a bit of coaxing with reference to me being just a young girl from a couple of fellow traders, he gave in and let me have them for my seven and six.
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Trip back from OZ to UK Reply with quote

After 2 and a half years on the Hostels, my parents decided they were going to go back to UK (Scotland). As it was still cheaper to sail back then, we spent 5 weeks on the Shotarustaveli, one of the "writers" ships. Departed Sydney 16th Nov 1968, Via Auckland, Tahiti, Panama Canal.
I have my pics backed up on Google, as I use Picasa.

Last edited by richardhallford on Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
GeoffT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be one of the few migrants of the mid 60's who didn't arrive by boat from the old dart. We (Mum, Dad and we three kids) arrived 8/5/65 in a BOAC Comet 4 at Essendon Airport in Melbourne, where we were taken to Melbourne landing at 7.00am because there was supposedly no accommodation in Sydney. We were then told we had to wait at Essendon for a TAA flight to Sydney with another family because there was no room in Melbourne. Finally arriving at Heathcote Rd. hostel early evening. A very auspcious arrival I don't think after 36hrs flight time from London.
No wonder Mum & we kids cried when we were ushered into the nissan hut. Geoff.
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto Geoff. I flew out here in Aug 1966 with my folks via BOAC. I have a copy of my brothers Juniour Jet Club log book. I also have received the badge we got then as a present just last Feb. The Captain of our plane was apparently a very famous fighter pilot in the ww2. We came on a 707 and yes, it was a very long and tiring flight as we had to land for unleaded all along the way. I have scanned the log if you want a copy as it may jog a memory for you. Richard.
GeoffT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks richard that would be appreciated. I'm compiling a history of my life for my children and grandchildren as they find my travel life as a youngster fascinating (Dad was in the Brit Army and we travelled a lot before we settled in Oz). Glad I found this site.
regards Geoff.
Jan Wright Jan Wright has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Ellinis and Fairstar Reply with quote

Hi all, my family sailed to Australia in April 1966 on the Ellinis, Chandris Lines ship. We went via the Suez canal and in Aden my dad bought me a battery operated record player which I loved. It came up from one of the little boats in a basket. It didn't conk out until about 2 weeks before we came back. I never saw another one like it.Many a record was played on it while sitting down in Lane Cove or sunbathing outside our hut. While on the ship a 'Gilly gilly man' came on board (that's what my dad said he was called anyway) and he somehow managed to pull baby chicks out of my hair and clothes. Magic I thought (I was 15 at the time) and thought he was very clever as I never saw how he did it. We came back in June 1968 on the Fairstar, Sitmar line lines ship, via the Panama canal as the Suez was closed to shipping at the time because of a dispute/war (I think) We had a crossing the equator party where someone dressed up as King Neptune and loads of us were thrown in the pool. I still have my certificate to say that I crossed the equator. Amazing what you can remmeber when you put your mind to it!! One regret I have is that I never took many photos while on my 'world' cruise........

Bradfield Park May 1966 - June 1968
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: What Ship Reply with quote

Jsloan wrote:
Hi All,

We arrived in Aus in 1961 on the Fairskye.

Regards John

I too sailed on the Fairsky, but in May/June 1963. We disembarked in Melbourne, originally aiming for Tasmania, but as there were no hostels in Tassie, we had to stay in Melbourne. We never did get to move to Tas. and I only visited there for the first time in 1985.
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Croxleygirl
Whist going through the suez and Aden we had a "Gully Gully "man on board,sounds like the same person.He had me wrap a 2 shilling piece in a paper that I had written my name on,then got my brother to throw it over board Shocked I was mortified than he had me look into my pocket..anf there it was,I am still amazed at that.
Jan Wright Jan Wright has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: What Ship? Reply with quote

Hi Carol, that's amazing! Sounds like the same man to me. He was certainly very clever. Being 15 I was determined that I wouldn't be impressed, you know what you are like at that age, but was completely bowled over. I am really enjoying reading the comments on here as it brings the memories flooding out.

Bye for now

Jan

Bradfield Park May 1966 - June 1968
stribe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: arrived on which ship Reply with quote

We arrived in November 1960 on the Fairsky, left Southhampton on October 8th, anyone else
Claus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Hi . Reply with quote

Hi.
I came with the Oronsay from denmark july/august 1969

all the best from Claus in denmark
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the Gully Gully man too, with his little red hat which I later learned was called a Fez.

And the boats at the side of the ship as we traversed the canal, and if we threw coins into the water, kids would duck dive down to get them, and amazingly I don't think they missed a one. If you asked them to they would swim under the ship and come up on the other side, and we would run like crazy to get to the other side to see them come up.
Jane Jane has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family and I came to Aust on the Fairsky in 1966, I have some memories & pics of a group of us kids singing, then on another occassion having to dress in hulla skirt and my mum also dressed up, must of been an Hawian theme.
I had a stuffed toy camel bought for me while stopping somewhere. I just loved it. I aslo remember the children diving down for coins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: