Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Ship?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henriej35

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: which ship Reply with quote

We came on the Johan Van Oldenbarnevelt.
Hollander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We came on the Aurelia via the Suez canal.

On board I made friends with an Australian boy called Ron from Collaroy Plateau, a northern suburb of Sydney. His parents were Dutch and his mother had taken him on a holiday back in Holland. They were going home to Australia on the Aurelia. By the time we reached Southampton he had told me of all the good food in Australia such as meat pies and milkshakes. He was sure that meat pies were available in the UK, but after walking all over Southampton, all we could come up with was cold pork pies. Yuchh!!! Didn't get my first milkshake until Fremantle and thankfully, it was a big improvement on the pork pie. Very Happy

We arrived in Sydney in November 1964.
robandjean

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:06 am    Post subject: SS Strhnaver Reply with quote

Arrived on the Strathnaver December of 1960.Stayed at Berkeley hostel. I still remember a lot of the good times I had there with friends, Wish I could meet up with them again.
DENIS ALLEN

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrived ss New Australia in Melbourne 6/3/52.
martihb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sitmar mv fairsea �10 poms to sydney 1961
sitmar castel felice passage paid �136 per person
subeng

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Which ship.... Reply with quote

Like a couple of other site members, we flew out to Australia on a BOAC 707 in Aug 68. Took us about two days with fuel and leg stretching stops.

Family returned to Scotland in Aug 71 on the TSS Fairstar leaving from Piermont Pier Sydney, with port calls at Auckland, Papeete, Balboa, Lisbon & Southampton.

Jim
DaveO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Bradfield Park Hostel - Fairstar Reply with quote

Fairstar
Hi, I arrived on the Fairstar on 31st December 1966. Dave
Val Phill

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family arrived on the Oronsay on 21st May 1960. We are just about to celebrate 50 years in Australia with a family reunion. Of the original 7 who landed in 1960 there is now over 70 :)
Janet Robinson

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How fabulous! Very Happy What a lovely thing to read about.
We arrived as a family of 5 fifty years ago and sadly there's only me and my sister left. I have two children so I guess that makes us 4.
longy62

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Fairstar 1965 Reply with quote

my family and i travelled from the UK on the Fairstar in May 1965. i have no memory of the trip as i was only 2 and a half years old. we stopped in melbourne for the day , then sailed on up to sydney. lived at the villawood hostel for a few months. my brothers were 12, 10 and 4 yrs older than i, and were able to remember parts of the 5wk trip
Rod Slater

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Family and I travelled from Tilbury Docks to Western Australia on the SS Maloja, departing UK on 24th September 1951 arrived in Fremantle (western Asutralia) 27th October 1952.

We travelled via Ceuta (Spanish Morroco), thru the mediterranean sea, Port Said, Aden and Colombo before arriving at Fremantle.

That was 59 years ago, I had just turned 9 four days before we departed UK but I can still remember the journey vividly.
Born Leicester England 1942
Migrated to Australia October 1951
Via SS Maloja
natalie10

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: SS Cameronia Reply with quote

Hi , My name is Lynda, Our family arrived in Australia in 1952 on the SS Cameronia.It was a former troop ship carrier which was scuttled soon after.I remember steaming down the suez canel and stopping in Ceylon(Sri Lanka) I still have the carved elephants my mum bought there.We finally ended up at the Heathcote and East Hills migrant centre.
AnaLevar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother's from Glasgow and came here from Southampton on the Castel Felice in early 1962 or 63...not sure.
alan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We came out on the Sitmar line Fairstar, '67 or '68. Went through places such as Curacao, Panama canal and Tahiti along the way. Loved it all.
Crossing the equator people(victims) were subjected to mock surgery with blood and intestines all over the place, great fun.
kate fletcher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strathnaver 1958. A wonderful voyage. Total luxury for me amd my parents. Nothing to do but enjoy ourselves and see the world. Not at all the life we were used to.
Holmesglen Hosteel brought us down to earth again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: