Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Ship?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenny

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Valgc,

The Foster Family: Emigrated Southampton April 1955.
We came out on the SS New Australia. We were on D- Deck. Apparently she had been written off for scrap, was turned into a passenger ship and carried thousands of British immigrants to Australia. She was later used as a troopship and played a major role in Australian military action in the Korean and Malay conflicts.
I've picked up this info on a web-site by the way. Smile

Everyship tells a story, just like all of us and how very interesting all of our stories are.
Cheers
Jenny
AJ Reed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The attached link is a good site to read on the subject of the "SS Australia" ... a timeline from its building as the three funnelled "SS Monarch of Bermuda" through its reincarnations as the "SS Australia" and the "QSS Arkadia". Saved twice from the breakers yard, both times emerging as a brand new ship giving a total service of 35 years.

http://member.melbpc.org.au/~nashr/New%20Australia%20page%201.html#New
(Separate links for histories of each incarnation of the ship).
Robm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came on the Aurelia in January 64 too. Stayed in Brooklyn.
Roy Phillips

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

We came out from the UK on SS CHITRAL in 1952. I still have my certificate for crossing the equator[ kept by my parents] and went initially to Bonegilla migrant camp. I have only good memories , my father said he would never return to England and my mother hated the Nissan huts.All very interesting at that time.
Jurgen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castel Felice from Germany in 1960.
hutchey54

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family & I arrived in Melbourne in May '62 on the Fairsky. We stayed at the Altona hostel but I don't think that we were there for too long. I turned 8 on the ship coming over and don't really remember too much of the early years, but we stayed and have a great life over here. Of the original 5 that emigrated there are now 35 of us, and still counting!
KevinH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What Ship Reply with quote

Steve63 wrote:
Susan Gillet wrote:
Jsloan wrote:
Hi All,

We arrived in Aus in 1961 on the Fairskye.

Regards John

I too sailed on the Fairsky, but in May/June 1963. We disembarked in Melbourne, originally aiming for Tasmania, but as there were no hostels in Tassie, we had to stay in Melbourne. We never did get to move to Tas. and I only visited there for the first time in 1985.

Hi Susan.
I've just joined and thought I'd respond as I too arrived on the Fairsky in 63. I was 10.
Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve,
We also sailed on the Fairsky in 1963 in September from Southampton, was that your voyage?
Here is my other post
http://www.migrantweb.com/hostelsforum/viewtopic.php?t=1124
Kevin
gaskin family

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Australis Reply with quote

David wrote:
Came out on the Australis in 67, i was only 6 but still have some memories, was christened on board, went to the fancy dress as a Devil with crepe paper tail, had a lot of fun exploring
we came out at that time too the same year, plus the fancy dress party too, but we ended up in melbourne ( did we travel the same time??)not sure if we were on the same boat ??

Last edited by gaskin family on Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
gaskin family

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: travelling by boat Reply with quote

how can l find out which ship, we traveled on ? we left england late sep 1967 and arrived on the 7 nov in australia, but l am not sure if that was when we arrived in perth or when we finally docked in melbourne, l know it was a small ship , and we had mainly italian's on board with us, l do remember my dad was gonna be sleeping else where, but instead we topped and tailed to fit him in, as we only had 2 bunk beds.i know as children we were mainly kept down below, there was a swimming pool and we celebrated going over the equator, with king neptune and kids wearing costumes made out of crepe. we were sent to live at homesglen hostel victoria
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Australis Reply with quote

If it was the Australis..that you travelled on, you can find out more from Google Laughing
LyndaP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairsea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: