Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old TV Programs:
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Len

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Old TV Programs: Reply with quote

I suspect that not many people had a TV set while they spent their time at the hostel and I thought for those that did then perhaps it would be interesting to see what TV programs you can remember while you were there.
I realize that everyone in the local area would have been watching these programs but for me when I see or here about certain old 60�s TV programs they always remind me of the hostel.

Our family got a TV set (1967-69), as we were at the hostel for just over two years. It was an old black and white. It had a front rotary switch which was used for changing the channels. In fact, what channels were there? Chn-5, Chn-5a, Chn-2, Chn- 2a, Chn-7 dunno?

I can specifically remember �as a 10 -11 year old�;

Astro boy
Swamp fox
Scarecrow.
And a couple of others that I can�t remember right now. grins

In fact the scarecrow TV program impressed quite a few of us kids at the hostel. We formed our very own scarecrow group. We dressed up using old sacks and made our own masks. At night we would sneak around in the shadows going on made up missions. grins
Who remembers?

Anyway, What TV programs have stuck in your mind from those hostel days.

Smile
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Len,
We bought our TV set when TV started in 1956 and the first progamme we watched was
" I love Lucy" with Lucille Ball
Other programmes that stick in my mind were :
"the Mickey Mouse Club" with Annette Funichello
"White Hunter" with Rhodes Reason
"The Roaring Twenties" with Rex Reason
and numerous old movies one outstanding one being :
"Balalaika" with Nelson Eddy and Ilona Massey ( I have that movie now and still love it. In fact I have quite a few Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy movies. Very Happy
We had the same TV set ,a Bush Simpson , all the time we were in hostels. And as in Cabramatta Forum, shared it with many children on that hostel. Very Happy
Roy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fav. TV program was "Combat"with Vic Morrow

My leased liked were "The Don Lane Show "and Rugby League Football.
Len

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can remember the Phantom agents.
it was a Japanese ninja series. They could jump very high and being kids we believed it. Mr. Green

http://home.netspeed.com.au/reguli/samphan.htm

Smile
Roy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to like that show too Len but are you trying to say that they could not really jump that high.
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always remember "The Mavis Bramston Show" I enjoyed that . It was a spoof on local happenings politics etc.etc.etc.
Does anyone remember this programme?
Very Happy
Len

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn�t ring any bells for me Phyl but I�ve done a quick search and found these two links.
The second link takes to a site that has loads of TV program theme tunes, it�s pretty good.
The Mavis Bramston Show is # 195
Go to their index page and search for more.

http://www.australiantelevision.net/mavisbramstonshow.html

http://www.televisiontunes.com/search.php?searWords=The+Mavis+Bramston+Show&Send=Search

Roy wrote:
I used to like that show too Len but are you trying to say that they could not really jump that high.

Roy, I know what you mean - it shattered my dreams also when I found out it wasn�t real. Funny thing is, I can�t remember them saying very much either, only grunting or groaning etc. Mr. Green

Smile
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Len ,
Thanks for the sites ,they are very good Very Happy
phil phil has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gilligans island
i am sure this used to be on every night ! or am i dreaming,
channel nos i remember are 2,7,9,10,
GinaKate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: old TV programmes Reply with quote

I don't know of anyone who didn't have a TV on Dundas hostel in the mid 60s on. The most watched being - The Pattie Duke Show, The Adam's Family, My Name's McGooley, Car 54 where are you, Dick Van Dyke, and of course there wasn't a kid in sight when The Samurai came on.
chrisnic chrisnic has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phyl wrote:
I always remember "The Mavis Bramston Show" I enjoyed that . It was a spoof on local happenings politics etc.etc.etc.
Does anyone remember this programme?
Very Happy

Hi Phyl
Sorry, a bit late, just noticed your post, but yes I do remember The Mavis Bramston Show. It was I think the first Australian produced satire show on TV, back in the mid-60's. Mavis was a mysterious lady dressed in black, with a black broad-brimmed hat and dark sun-glasses. Mavis Bramston was not her real identity, but I can't remember the name of the actress. I think the real star was Gordon Chater, a very talented comedy actor who I think later played McGooley. He got into some hot water over a sketch he did on, of all things, flower-arranging. The language was supposed to be highly suggestive, but from what I can remember of course very tame by today's standards.
The show was very popular with uni students, and I remember seeing Mavis in a personal appearance at Sydney Uni during my time there.

I hope you had a happy and safe Christmas, and all the best for the New Year.

Cheers
Chris
slavica

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a HG Palmer televisoin the 3 in one kind. It had a radio and a stackable record player. My dad spent three weeks at Fairymeadow alone beofe we (my mother, brother and I) could join him. He worked at the stilworks and we were in a hostel somewhere in Sydney until he could secure an igloo (the two room tin dwelling) for us all.

He purchased the TV on credit from an agent selling stuff for Waltons. He wanted to surprise us much to my mothers horror but my brother and i loved it. It was the one shining light in our scarry new home. I loved watching Superman but my favourite was Father Knows Best.
slavica

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say that my dad still has the TV. He cannnot bring himself to part with it so he had the actual television removed from it's cabinet and just buys television sets that will fit inside. The radio and record player still works.

Going to visit dad is always like a trip back in time as most of his furniture is from the sixties.
Ann Ainsworth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can remember getting quite a few American programmes like Hollywood Au Go Go and Shindig. But we had our own Aussie shows as well like The Go Show where I first saw Normie Rowe - anyone remember Normie?
As I was 12-13 at the time I was more interested in pop music than children's programmes.
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Other TV shows Reply with quote

In my time at East Hills 1966-1968 I remember the original Batman series. Not the one from the sixites, the earlier one. It was real corny. They had a standard saloon with a bat head on the grill as the batmobile. The batman costume was a real hoot. And of course the fistycuffs scenes were a real gag. Its been re released as part of a nostalgia thingy. I got a copy from my local library. Its still quite watchable with a really good film quality.
I also remember watching Star Trek of course, because I used to play on the 'gliders" at the swing park. My freind Mark came out as usual and said that he had drawn this "new" type of spaceship. Of course he didnt know that I had just watched Star Trek. Hehe.
There was also Davey Crochet and The Littlest Hobo. Also a program about a railway engineer, I think it was Ben Casey or something like that.
But then, who could forget the Sci Fi and Horror movies of Deadly Earnest? I remember the opening sequence where he and his sidekick would carry a coffin into the studios. He would then (in a sort of Kiss makeup) describe the movie.
I remember the original "The Thing" was scary for a young boy. "The Claw" and "Battle in Outer Space" There were many scary horror and sci fi movies shown then. The Sydney Deadly was Ian Bannerman, but did you know that Melbourne and Adelaid also had there own "Deadley"
Heres a link to a program that guests The Original Deadley. Teh, Old times. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e59lQbHI8-c
Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: