Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old TV Programs:
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisnic chrisnic has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Other TV shows Reply with quote

richardhallford wrote:
Also a program about a railway engineer, I think it was Ben Casey or something like that.
Richard

Casey Jones. Ben Casey was a hospital drama, competing with Dr Kildare.
Old times indeed.
chrisnic chrisnic has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ann Ainsworth wrote:
I can remember getting quite a few American programmes like Hollywood Au Go Go and Shindig. But we had our own Aussie shows as well like The Go Show where I first saw Normie Rowe - anyone remember Normie?
As I was 12-13 at the time I was more interested in pop music than children's programmes.

Hi Ann
Yes, I remember Normie. I think he was called up to go to Vietnam (I was in the ballot but fortunately my birth date didn't get drawn). Many years later he starred in the Sydney production of Les Miserables.
Chris
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: East Hills Hostel visit Reply with quote

Tks for the reply and the correct information. Ive just been up to the site of East Hills Hostel and posted a bunch of photos for Len to sort out. I also have a number of short vids that Ive not posted on the site if anyone wants them. I visited the site on 16.04.2009. Regards, Richard Hallford
phil phil has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi richard , would like to see those short vids....
Len

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: East Hills Hostel visit Reply with quote

richardhallford wrote:
I also have a number of short vids that Ive not posted on the site if anyone wants them. I visited the site on 16.04.2009. Regards, Richard Hallford

Hi Richard, Have to tried putting the videos on youtube? Because if you did that, you could post the video links here.
If you do decide to put them on youtube, give them a searchable title and description, that way, anyone and everyone will find them.

I dont know if you've ever done any video editing but you could stick all the related videos together and just great the one.

http://www.youtube.com/?gl=GB&hl=en-GB

Smile
GeoffT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before Phantom Agents there was The Samurai whose name was Shintaro and he had Ninja helpers called Iga Ninjas. I remember a lot of the younger kids were running around the hostel playing samurai and ninjas my little brother was right into Phantom Agents.
regards Geoff
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tks for the advice people. I have this little problem though. The old site is barred off by chain fence and there are signs up that say no entry. If the gates were somehow not actually locked and someone wondered on by accident and happened to trip up and press the shutter release, that would be one thing. But wondering on to a site that says for some strange reason "keep out" COULD possibly be construed as tresspassing. Anyuone admitting that they had been on Commonwealth property may in fact incur the rath of the authorities...........Those peope who have an interest in maintaining law and order might want to send me a pvt email. If you get what I mean. :) Richard.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE TARAX SHOW (Channel 9)

We didn't have a TV ourselves but the neighbours did. They always seemed to be watching The Three Stooges. I remember The Tarax Show specifically, as the hostel social club organised an outing for the kids to be part of the studio audience. Participation was by ballot, and I was one of the chosen few to go on the bus to the studio in Richmond. It was really exciting, and so many kids missed out. We were all given a showbag full of goodies to bring home...unfortunately it included a cold Four and Twenty pie and I was devastated, as there were no facilities to heat it up!.
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

definately the Tarax Show I remember too the hostel put a bus on for a lot of kids to go to a tarax show taping it was Great and I remember Zig and Zag.
I also remember Lost In Space and In Melbourne Tonight with Graham Kennedy, Gidget, My Favourite Martian oh and lots more too many to name,mind you most of the time we were outside playing.
I remember too every friday night arranged by the Hostel social committee a bus would take those who wished to go,l to St Moritz in St Kilda were we would all try and ice skate it was fantastic,and then we would go over to Luna Park!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember Friday night excursions, they may have started after we left. I still watch Lost in Space, I got the DVD boxed set. A couple of years ago I met Bob May, the guy who was inside the Robot. He died in January.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it was Margaret McKeeman who used to organise these trips,I have a photo somewhere of us all ice skating!us kids used to get dragged there whether we wanted to go or not,but I did enjoy it,especially when we went over to Luna park.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah we have a lot to thank the volunteers in the social committee for.

I used to love watching HOMICIDE. I'd left my beloved Z-Cars behind (it took 2-3 years till our UK shows were taken on by the local channels) so Homicide was the next best thing. I have a tape of old episodes and it's a laugh to watch them now, and to recognise old roads and landmarks around Melbourne that have changed.

We didn't have a TV in the hostel, but my Mum was addicted to certain radio shows, mostly depressing talkback shows by folk like Norman Banks and Ormsby Wilkins, and a lady named Lois Lathlean. When we got a TV the following year, she used to get a ticket to a live audience now and then - can't remember the show, but the presenter was a lady with the odd name of Binni Lum. She would go up to Melbourne on the Red Rattler (change at Newport). Years later she had graduated to the suicidal patrons of Reverend Alex Kenworthy and Father Gerard Dowling, and many a morning we'd be greeted by "ah there was a terrible sad case on Reverend Alex last night!"

Believe it or not, 3AW and 3UZ were the leaders in catering to teenagers' music back then. I used to love listening to a DJ on 3AW named John Bright. and later on Ken Sparkes on 3UZ. 3UZ used to put out Top 40 lists, way before 3XY did. I used to collect them from the record shop in Altona every Saturday.

It would have been awesome to be a teenager in the hostels when the bands were forming. But I left at age 10 in November 1964, and missed out by a whisker. Seems like the fun really started after we'd gone!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to love Ken Sparks,he used to play all the good stuff and then Grantley Dee came along , he was blind but I suppose that doesnt matter on the radio,he could sing a bit too,remember Let The Little Girl Dance??good rock and roll song if ever there was one,
My Mum knitted a jumper for my sister with the words THE BEATLES knitted across the front of it,and of course then all the girls on the hostel wanted one,and they were great big sloppy joes then,she was knitting forever.
I think Grandstand started about then with Brian Henderson and Johnny O'Keefe used to be on all the time and Little Pattie singing about her Real Gone Surfer Boy...Oh it is all coming back to me now.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember watching Bandstand on McKeeman's TV next door. The filmclips were mimed, it was really obvious.

I would have killed for a Beatles jumper like that. Cool

Grantley Dee was around for years, mostly at 3AK. He had another song around 1968 called "Love is a Happy Thing", I think he sang it with Little Pattie.

Ken Sparkes left 3UZ in 1967 and said he was going to the US for four years. I was devastated, and couldn't imagine how I'd get by without him till I was 17! But by that time, I'd moved on. I never had my $2 "tranny" away from my ear.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just remembered "Rawhide" I loved that show,and especially Rowdy Yates,I still love Clint Eastwood now,I have been humming that tune in my head all day too

Rollin Rollin Rollin Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: