Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old TV Programs:
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a grungy old album of Frankie Laine at the op shop only a few weeks ago, so I could have that song.
Another popular Western in the hostel was The Cisco Kid. And Zorro. A little boy asked me one day out of nowhere if Zorro went to Heaven..as if I'd know.
Rolling Eyes
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I remember The Cisco Kid,Pancho was a bit of a Pratt though,but I suppose there is always one,how could Zorro go to heaven,he never died???that little boy needs a smackin Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad then there was the Lone Ranger and Hoppalong Cassidy Rolling Eyes Rifleman, Casey Jones, Wyatt Earp ,Maverick ,
Wouls you believe I have that Frankie Lane album and one by Johnny Horton which is quite good it has songs like..North To Alaska and The Battle of New Orleans and also an album by......wait for it.......

Guy Mitchell...

.Now here is a test for all.....name some songs from that album...not telling you till you have guessed 3 of them : Mr. Green

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singing the Blues. I could look up a music book I have for the other two, but that would be cheatin'.

There used to be a pub band in Melbourne in the 80's called the North to Alaskans.

I play all those old 45's all the time. I've just collected my old banger of a record player from the repairers, it's got more grunt than anything you'd find nowadays.
kim kim has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: deadly ernest Reply with quote

I remember the first time I watched deadly earnest. I was about 6 years old. I was so scared but begged my parents to let me stay up and watch it. After the show it was time to go to bed. I went into my bedroom and was about to jump into my bed when a hand came from under the bed and grabbed my leg. I know I opened my mouth to scream but nothing came out. I could hear the muffled laughter of my brother under my bed. I know he thought it was funny, but I didn't see it that way at the time. Also loved the show the littlest hobo. Coronation street was good too.
Kim Shocked
Bill Ashton

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: T.V Shows Reply with quote

G-Day Len, Your good at ratling thay bold memory can. When we landed here in 67. The first thing dad got us was a B/W tv. I recall all the shows you did but do you remember : Prince Planet, The Phantom Agents and a few years later
Skippy the bush kangeroo.
Remember sony in that show, well a few years later i became very good friend with that boy. We used to go fishing together.
See ya Bill
Migrated to Aus in 67. Mum Dad and 5 kids.We lived on 9 block when we lived there. Dad cooked in the kitchings there for some years. I think he was the union rep there too.his name was George and mums name Nancy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singing The Blues
She wears red feathers
Sparrow in the tree top

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know the other two songs.
I heard "Heartaches by the Number" the other day.

I play the old fossils every day.

Do you remember AUNTIE MAGGIE'S REMEDY?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No don't know Auntie Maggie's Remedy
I was listening to Heartaches by the Number too the other day,I have it on a disc with a load of other songs from that era that I downloaded..

Hats Off To Larry
Walk On By
Running Bear
I Remember You
From a Jack To a King.....love that one
What do you wanna Make those eyes at me for

and a whole lot more

I play them when I am cleaning up and when I am in the kitchen cooking,singing at the top of my voice,if any body walked in I would just die of embarrassment Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I do too, my kitchen bench is chronically littered with cassettes and CDs played while I'm cleaning. The garage is worse. It's my workshop, and I keep an old banger of a stereo in there and play records while I'm painting signs and I sing away and don't care. Neighbours on both sides are out working, and there's only a convent over the fence with all of six nuns, and they all know I'm eccentric anyway! Cool

I'm a compulsive collector of old 45's, and am always finding them on Ebay. Some of my recent purchases are:

Do what you gotta do - Al Wilson
Communication breakdown- Roy Orbison
So much in love- The Tymes (the Mighty Avengers also had a great song with the same title)
Do you mind- Anthony Newley
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got our TV pretty quickly after arriving on the hostel. I think that it was so our parents could get a little bit of peace and quiet while us 5 kids watched the telly. lol. I remember the Tarax Show, Happy Show, Bewitched and yeah, Combat.
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aussietrekker wrote:
I didn't know the other two songs.
I heard "Heartaches by the Number" the other day.

I play the old fossils every day.

Do you remember AUNTIE MAGGIE'S REMEDY?

Yes, I remember that one. Was it George Formby who sang it?
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stormfour wrote:
definately the Tarax Show I remember too the hostel put a bus on for a lot of kids to go to a tarax show taping it was Great and I remember Zig and Zag.
I also remember Lost In Space and In Melbourne Tonight with Graham Kennedy, Gidget, My Favourite Martian oh and lots more too many to name,mind you most of the time we were outside playing.
I remember too every friday night arranged by the Hostel social committee a bus would take those who wished to go,l to St Moritz in St Kilda were we would all try and ice skate it was fantastic,and then we would go over to Luna Park!!!

I remember those ice skating trips too; and the time my mum fell on the ice and ended up with concussion. Bill McLean somehow managed to get some ice-skates that were smoke damaged, and I got a pair. Had them for years till I allowed a "friend' to take them to be sharpened, and he kept them and gave them to his girlfriend.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember your Mum hitting her head on the ice,we all had to be quiet on the bus going home,if she hadnt been so tall she would not have fallen so hard Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Sue remember we used to nick over to Luna Park with the lads that we had arranged to meet Cool
I remember when you lived in Braybrook and we lived in Sunshine over that Milk bar,I used to come to your house and stay all week end,I still have a photo of use two on that trolley your Daviod made,and we were posing in the middle of the road,we would get killed by hoons if we did that now.I remember going into Myer in the city and spraying all the perfumes on us,we got some real funny looks on the way home,and you talking me into going on the Mad Mouse at the show and I didn't talk to you for the rest of the day...Oh yes those were the days my friend
BrendonL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember our favourite show was Samuri (not sure of its real name)

All of us kids made cardboard star knives an naturally flicked them at anyone who was close enough. There was a rescue/paramedic show too.

Anyone remember what seemed like hours of waiting for the Beatles to arrive at the airport? I know I was mad that it ran into MighyMouse time.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Brendon,
I remember the show on TV called 'The Samurai' (not sure if my spelling is correct :) ) My boys loved it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: