Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midway Migrant Hostel (Maribyrnong, Melbourne)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Other Hostels:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eldeak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Midway Migrant Hostel (Maribyrnong, Melbourne) Reply with quote

Hi, I'm really looking forward to chatting with others who stayed at Midway Migrant Hostel. I was there as a neurotic 6 year old from Hungary and also attended the Child Language Centre there.
ross.sinclair

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also love to chat to any British �10 Poms who stayed at the hostel. I'm making a TV programe and we're desperate to hear your stories.
Please email: [email protected]
Best wishes
Pamie Pamie has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Hi Eleanora Reply with quote

I'm working on a thesis about the Midway hostel and it would be great to have a chat with you about your memories of the place. My email address is [email protected]

regards
Pamie
Jakub

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Eleonora, what year did you stay at the hostel? I was also 6 when I was there. The year was 1986 and I also went to the school. I went back a few years ago but I can't remember the exact location of the school. Do you have any pictures to share? I have two, I'll have to find them and blow the dust of the scanner too.
eldeak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jakub

We were there in 1983 for a few months. So just missed you. Did you go to the Child Language Centre too?
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who dont know, Midway Hostel was also known as Philip Hostel and Marybinong Hostel. I visited there recently. Some of it has been taken over by the University of Victoria, with the rest of the site being left as an abandoned ruin, although most of the buildings appear intact. There is a planning notice to remove some of the original buildings up on the site and it would appear that we are about to loose another Heritage site.
adrian5035

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Hi i was there. Reply with quote

Do any of you remember the little nissan hut library

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Little Nissan Hut Reply with quote

When I went there in April this year, there was still one Nissan hut on the grounds. It was on its own and abandoned. Anyone could go in there as it was completly open. I was wondering why it was there, apparently sitting on its own. I have a photo of it if you wish for identification. Send me a PM and I can email it over to you.
Richard Hallford.
adrian5035

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Nissen Hut Photographs Reply with quote

Thank you for the photographs. I din't realise they are of East Hills Hostel,
i was reffering to Midway Hostel Maribyrnong - Melbourne. Sorry if i didn't make myself clear.
Regards
Adrian
adrian5035

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Secondary School Reply with quote

I would like to know which school i went to, i thought it might be St Margarets Primary. Because it's not far, i remember walking from school to home wasn't far.
However it cant have been a primary school because i dont remember any very young kids.
I know there was a bus that took us from Midway to the school. There was a lovely woman, - with blonde hair and bulging eyes - who accompanied the driver to comfort the really upset kids. There were a particular bunch who sat on the back seat - i think they were from Yugoslavia - and cried all the way, They seemed particularly affected, but she used to go to the back of the bus to reassure them, she really was ever so nice.
Regards
Adrian
wernsy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there in 1955 as a lad of 11. we used to climb the fence of the ammunition factory to go to the river. If anyone has pics i would love to see. Shocked
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband was one of the managers during late 1955.We were there about three months maybe four.Tony Hobbs his name and he was chubby

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Nissen Hut Photographs Reply with quote

adrian5035 wrote:
Thank you for the photographs. I din't realise they are of East Hills Hostel,
i was reffering to Midway Hostel Maribyrnong - Melbourne. Sorry if i didn't make myself clear.
Regards
Adrian

Hi, I just noticed your post. No, those photos I sent you of the Nissen hut were on the Midway/Marybynong hostel site. There is one Nissen hut sitting there on its own. At least it still was last year. Richard.
Maybe its time I took another trip over there and see what develepments have taken place.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done a bit of research on Maribyrnong Primary School, and it wasn't easy! It won't be found on any recent maps as it was demolished in 1993 amd turned into a housing estate and a carpark for Highpont. It was on Warr's Road. I remember those houses being built, and I parked in the carpark every week and wheeled the pram across it, with no idea it had been a school.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was out there last week, and drove around where the school had been. They've named one of the new streets Primary Place and it has beautiful houses. The rest of it is part of Highpoint's ever-expanding carpark. And West's Road is now "apartment city", I couldn't get over it. Maribyrnong property prices have lately gone through the roof. Who would have thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Other Hostels: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: