Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midway Migrant Hostel (Maribyrnong, Melbourne)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Other Hostels:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adrian5035

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

i was just gonna look at the photos you sent me again and i cant find them on my PC, i lost them, i hate myself
Tyler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Maribyrnong Immigration Hostel Reply with quote

I remember coming to Australia in 1966 on a British Eagle Flight ,landing at Essendon and going straight to the hostel being lodged in a nissen hut complete with a dead cat trapped in the sofa but worse was the local primary school being beaten and spat on for being English (wow) I have never since leaving the place eaten Tapioca or semolina
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you went to school in Maribyrnong today, things have come full circle, and you would be a novelty for having English as a first language!
Tyler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things change Sometimes for the better sometimes not but I still hold true to the fact that if someone wants to come to this country then it must be done through the right channels and upon arrival fit in .Im more and more dismayed about the amount of people that jump queues , and the ones that come here to make a better life for themselves and their families because of troubles and life standards in the country of origin then immediately upon getting here try to make it just like from where they came
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally with you on that one.
Bruce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also arrived at Maribyrnong hostel in1966 from England via ship called the "fair sea". I also had problems fitting in at the state school at first but after a while OK. I can still remember Mrs Ravenhall, my 2nd grade teacher, she seemed like she was out of the 19th century, really strict and wasn't shy to use the strap, and that was in grade 2! Shows how much things have changed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Other Hostels: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: